Sound Card Viability - ASUS Xonar Essence ST

Nebb

Hello!

I have been trying to research recording equipment to help create a home studio and I was hoping you guys could help me.

I want to purchase a new sound card for the purpose of voice-over by phantom powering a SHURE SM58 and SM57 mic. I was looking at the ASUS Xonar Essence ST for the sake of having a TRS port. However, from what I'm reading, it seems to be better suited for a home theater or a USB recording setup.

Is there a better alternative or method I should use? Any feedback is appreciated!

(Sorry I can't provide a link, I have not posted 10 times.)

Hey,
I know it's a hated response but I'd spend some time doing a bit of reading so you can get a grasp of the basics.

The reason I say that, sm57/58 are dynamic microphones. They don't require phantom power.
They do, however, require a mic-preamp which (I'm pretty sure) that sound card won't have.

A good, but not foolproof, sign of a device having a mic-preamp is an XLR input.

For voice recording the simplest solution is to shop for a little two channel USB audio interface with mic-preamp built in.
Something like a presonus audiobox, focusrite 2i2 or tascam us122 would be perfect.

Back