sound card upgrade (usb)

sathyan

I am currently using a TB Santa Cruz to record on my WinXP system. The recordings have been gradually getting noisier, so time to upgrade.

I'd like to get a USB external audio device so I can use it with either the desktop or laptop (IBM Thinkpad T40). It doesn't need MIDI as I have a separate USB device for that. 2 channels of analogue line in/out would be sufficient (I typically record one stereo track at a time and mix in software or for live, mix to stereo on my analogue mixer).

Software I use for audio: CoolEdit Pro (editing, mixing); TotalRecorder (recording)

Budget of around $200.

Musician's Friend lists these:

Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Interface
Complete plug-and-play functionality with no required software. Plugs into the USB port. Supports multiple audio formats such as...
$34.99

M-Audio Sonica USB Audio Output
24-bit/96kHz audio for laptop and desktop computers. Ultra-clean, hi-res audio output from your USB port. High-fidelity analog...
$59.99

Edirol UA-1X USB Audio Interface
The UA-1X is a simple USB audio interface designed to offer component-quality audio signals to and from your computer. It...
$79.99

Edirol UA-1A USB Audio Interface
Sixteen-bit/44.1kHz A/D/A converter is powered through the USB connection to your computer. Stereo RCA plugs in and out. Works...
$84.99

M-Audio Sonica Theater USB Surround Interface
Sonica Theater is the ultimate audio upgrade for your desktop or laptop. Play DVDs and all your music in surround sound, make...
$99.99

Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB
It delivers genuine 5.1 surround sound with 6 analog outputs plus line and mic inputs, optical digital S/PDIF I/O, a headphone...
$119.99

Audio Trak MAYA 44 USB
MAYA 44 USB is a versatile external USB audio interface for your notebook or desktop computer. It instantly adds 4 - 1/8" analog...
$129.99

M-Audio MobilePre USB
It's the preamp with a built-in audio interface designed for your laptop's needs. 3 kinds of audio inputs and outputs provide...
$149.99

Edirol UA-20 24-Bit USB Digital Audio and MIDI Interface
Brings portable 24-bit quality to your Mac or PC applications. Powered by your computer through the USB bus, and flexible!...
$179.99

M-Audio USB 2496 Audiophile Computer Recording Interface
This USB version of the Audiophile 2496 PCI card delivers pro quality with great dynamic range and S/N ratio. Includes 2 1/4"...
$199.99

Tascam US-122 USB Audio/MIDI Interface
Fully Mac and Windows compatible, it features 2 XLR phantom-powered mic inputs with inserts, 2 line-level ins switchable to...
$199.99

any thoughts?

is 24/96 capability important?

alchuck makes a good point, you will save dough on a pci card. The number one Q is whether or not you have usb 2... if you do, that may effect some of your decision... pretty sure edirol has an impressive new box...

for about 2 bills look at the m-audio duo. 2 nice preamps, spdif in and out, and very simply to use. (it also functions as a stand alone preamp)

It is marginally over your cut off, but the difference will be remarkable.

The pci thing is just that... a tough decision on how important the laptop is.

I use the duo regularly for live recordings of jazz ensembles and the like, and have great results even just using two rode nt-5s.

hope this helps.

Regards,
Rich

radiumreactor.com

jazzrich9:

"alchuck makes a good point, you will save dough on a pci card. The number one Q is whether or not you have usb 2... if you do, that may effect some of your decision... pretty sure edirol has an impressive new box... "

yes, I have USB2

"for about 2 bills look at the m-audio duo. 2 nice preamps, spdif in and out, and very simply to use. (it also functions as a stand alone preamp)

It is marginally over your cut off, but the difference will be remarkable. "

well, I don't really need the preamps in the sound card as I have them in my mixer and an outboard tube micpre. but I'm willing to spend a bit more if necessary.

"The pci thing is just that... a tough decision on how important the laptop is. "

I would like to be able to remote site recordings. Also, I could use a laptop with a software drum machine for live performance playback. But I could probrably deal with lesser quality in the laptop if I also got a good PCI card. (that Audiophile 2496 - $149 at zzsounds - looks like a good deal. lifetime warranty.) How bad are the cheap USB devices like Yamaha UW10, Edirol UA-1 or TerraTec Aureon?

The USB Edirol UA20 is $180 - soundwise how does it compare with the 2496?

"I use the duo regularly for live recordings of jazz ensembles and the like, and have great results even just using two rode nt-5s. "

I'll look into this, thanks.

Back