Sound Card Line In

Dewey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlChuck:
Dewey,

A guitar signal is way lower than line level. You need to raise it up. A direct box at very least is needed. You might have an amp with a line out jack... try that.

You asked the question about the mixer or guitar amp -- that's the answer. You need line level signals to go into the sound card's line level input.

-AlChuck
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the comeback. Will do some more experimenting\

Dewey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Torpid-x:
This is a little hard to explain without screen shots, your problem may be that the track your trying to record on is probably set as a midi track. In Guitar Studio Demo, open a new file, click on a track, see where it says MIDI, double click on that. a dialog box will pop up. select line in for your input, wave out for your output. or you should see something similar, depending on your sound card, just make sure you don't select a midi or synth choice,click OK. Do this for every track you want to record on. Then see what I think of cakewalk Guitar studio in the Dragon Cave.

Rich
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. Will check this out. I'm about ready to bag the whole deal and stay with my Tascam 414 setup.

Have downloaded Cakewalk Pro Studio , Cakewalk Guitar 2 and N-Tracks demo versions
Have a Compaq 5868 600 Atlon K7 with 128mgs ram. dvd, cd-rw,soundblaster PCI 128 sound card. Card has line out (for speakers) line in, and mic. When trying to record on any of the programs, I can only get sound that I can hear and record with using the mic jack. The line in does not record nor can I hear anything, but it does show on the meters when I strum the guitar. Have gone through the master volume controls in windows and checked line in etc. Still nothing.

Also was wondering if you can patch directly from your mixer board, or guitar amp directly into the compouter sound card. Although at this point not hearing anything from the line in jack kind of negates that.

Am brand new to computer recording. Been using Tascam 414, Peavey XR-700 mixer. This computer stuff is beginning to look pretty complicated to me, but from everything I read it looks like better quality recordings?

Dewey,

A guitar signal is way lower than line level. You need to raise it up. A direct box at very least is needed. You might have an amp with a line out jack... try that.

You asked the question about the mixer or guitar amp -- that's the answer. You need line level signals to go into the sound card's line level input.

-AlChuck

This is a little hard to explain without screen shots, your problem may be that the track your trying to record on is probably set as a midi track. In Guitar Studio Demo, open a new file, click on a track, see where it says MIDI, double click on that. a dialog box will pop up. select line in for your input, wave out for your output. or you should see something similar, depending on your sound card, just make sure you don't select a midi or synth choice,click OK. Do this for every track you want to record on. Then see what I think of cakewalk Guitar studio in the Dragon Cave.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Torpid-x:

Rich
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DON'T DO IT!!! I have exactly the same experience - I just migrated from a 414 to a PC running N-Track three weeks ago. I've been going through these kinds of annoying hurdles for a few weeks now and it DOES get better.

I have an SB Live! Value (hopefully not for long) so its mixer may be similar to yours. Check to make sure that the "line in" is not muted for playback. This is one I had to figure out when I first got started.

Here are some of the others I had to work through before getting multiple tracks recorded:
1) Use the soundcard mixer to set the record level and the device to record from (line in).
2) Use the Settings button on the playback VU meter to set playback to 16 bits. It was at 24 bits and I kept getting errors in playback. It looked like I recorded, but I couldn't play anything back until I got through this one.
3) Setting the audio format (mono, stereo track, or two mono tracks) appropriately. You do this from the Settings button on the Recording VU meter.
4) Finally figured out to disconnect my cable modem while recording. Otherwise any network activity seemed to cause jumps or gaps in recording. I finally figured this out after installing a firewall. Everytime I got a message that the firewall blocked something, whatever I'm monitoring would appear to jump/skip. I tried this today and no longer had the problem.

The first few hurdles are the most frustrating because they stop you from doing ANYTHING. But as you work through them each new one takes less time to resolve and you end up learning a lot in the process.

Have fun and be patient. The people here will give you lots of help when you need it, especially if you do some homework before posting a question.

Here Here!

Well put DaveO, I was going to say about the same thing. Don't give up, buy a book on the software you decide to buy, and you'll figure it out.

What's in the bag?
Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveO:
DON'T DO IT!!! I have exactly the same experience - I just migrated from a 414 to a PC running N-Track three weeks ago. I've been going through these kinds of annoying hurdles for a few weeks now and it DOES get better.

I have an SB Live! Value (hopefully not for long) so its mixer may be similar to yours. Check to make sure that the "line in" is not muted for playback. This is one I had to figure out when I first got started.

Here are some of the others I had to work through before getting multiple tracks recorded:
1) Use the soundcard mixer to set the record level and the device to record from (line in).
2) Use the Settings button on the playback VU meter to set playback to 16 bits. It was at 24 bits and I kept getting errors in playback. It looked like I recorded, but I couldn't play anything back until I got through this one.
3) Setting the audio format (mono, stereo track, or two mono tracks) appropriately. You do this from the Settings button on the Recording VU meter.
4) Finally figured out to disconnect my cable modem while recording. Otherwise any network activity seemed to cause jumps or gaps in recording. I finally figured this out after installing a firewall. Everytime I got a message that the firewall blocked something, whatever I'm monitoring would appear to jump/skip. I tried this today and no longer had the problem.

The first few hurdles are the most frustrating because they stop you from doing ANYTHING. But as you work through them each new one takes less time to resolve and you end up learning a lot in the process.

Have fun and be patient. The people here will give you lots of help when you need it, especially if you do some homework before posting a question.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took a couple of days off and came back with a fresh look. Things worked a little better. Followed your suggestions and some others that were posted. Managed to record 4 tracks from a master tape on the 414 direct to the computer. Also recorded one of my guitars direct from an amp. There is an apparent sync problem on the copy from the 4 track, but at least now I have something to play with and listen to. Once I get a few more things figured out I plan on trying to record a 5 track song (vocal, rhythm, lead, bass, drums) and see what more kind of trouble I can get into.
From what I have read in the various BB's, I believe I am going to go with n-tracks rather than Cakewalk Home Studio. One particular comment by a sound engineer kind of caught my attention. He said that if you were only going to do audio recording, n-tracks was one of the best programs because of it's ease of use and that it did as much as in some cases more than some programs he used costing a great deal more.

Back