Sound card external vs internal and....

Kingkudzu

..I am having my computer built. PC ASUA MB MOBO 8 gig RAM2.50 ghz 4mb cache Western Digital Caviar 500gig with probably a solid state 2 gig HD for Operating system. Please--can anyone answer:

Firewire or PCI-e

Internal or external?

What DAW software (ie SONAR, etc) would be best for at least 4 tracks?

I have heard internals like the 1010 LT is subject to moise from the CPU et al Can anyone help me please-while a newb to computer recording, I am a musician (x 35 years) and have a moderate understanding of computers. Just don't want to screw it up as the computer is being custum built. I have looked at MAC but found the laptop sufficent to do what I need to be too pricey and it would rule out upgrades in the future as I am ordring a large ATX case with 4 fans. (another source of moise I understand...) Please forgive the generic question but I get really nervous putting out this kind of money and cannot decide between Cubase, M-audio, Sonar, and the like. I have some non-linear editting experiencing with video in a past lifetime as a videographer.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...Thank you and God Bless!!

:confused::eek::o

Jim

King Kudzu

I moved your post to a new thread. In the future, please don't hijack someone else's thread.

For your questions, it depends on what you wish to accomplish and your budget. Describe what you want to do and be specific so people here can give you better guidance.

Most interfaces will come with some form a DAW software. Be sure to look at that when shopping around.

The 4 fans will probably make some noise. If your micing something, you'll have to figure out how to handle that. Either moving the computer to another room, an isolation box, separate room for recording, etc.

Cheers and welcome to the site.

Ooooops-sorry for 'Nooby' move

in hijacking a thread. Of course I am new here and won't make that mistake again.
Specifically: I would like to be able to record and eventually mix 2 to 4 inputs such as guitar (acoustic/electric), vocal(s), looping drum plug-ins iniatially with the thought of eventually miking a live set through a Yamaha 8 channel mixing board. Guess I want to stack tracks and eventually have a complete song in stereo. There seems to be so many options as to be overwhelming. I have a studio (of sorts) with three four rooms. Drums will ultimately be iso'ed in seperate room constructed of 4 inch cooler panels and carpeting, ISO booth by way of closet in main room. 4inch PVC pipe for snake/mike cables to run into computer/mixing room. Its a very old structure made of knotted pine and the walls are quite thick. No neighbor issue as we have used room for practice for years as a weekend warrior band and never had anything but compliments. Initial recording done in simlar scenario on a Skully 4-track because thats what we had heard the Beatles did. Lesson learned as it limited us to no post session mixing. Although the quality was warm and pleasing to a degree. Really hope to learn the optimal chain from computer-->interface---> compressors--->pre-amps and what people would suggest. Cannot afford a MAC AND an interface so PC seems my only option.
Again--I am sorry for the hijack...I am very thankful for any help anyone could provide as this is a last-ditch attempt to get 20 years of writing originals into a listenable format. Our lead singer passed away not long ago and we want to do him (and his children justice) for all the long Sundays he wasn't around and the death marches we all made to load tons of analog PA equipment into area venues...and back again. The band is built around vocals and have great harmony. Please assist if possible and agin--thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can muster.

Jim:confused:

Back