Sound Card for Digital Mixer

VirtualSamana

I have a digital mixer and wanted a sound card that will accept digital output (spdif) from my mixer and allow me to record atleast 8 tracks simultaneously. Is the audiophile capable of this? If not any other suggestions?

If I go with something like the delta 1010 does that mean that I would need to use the analogue outs on my mixer? I would like to avoid this since I dont want to have to go through two digital conversions. Since I don't need anymore a/d converters can someone suggest a soundcard/interface that will accomodate me? Thanks

The question U should ask first is "can your mixer transfer 8 tracks simultaneously through spdif?" Not all mixers with spdif can. Which digital mixer do u have?

To add to the above, the S/PDIF protocol can only transfer in fact 2 tracks of audio at once. You can of course have multiple S/PDIF outputs that run together, but usually, T/DIF and Alesis Lightpipe are more commonly used for large track count transfers. AES/EBU can only handle 2 tracks at once on one connector too, so again, multiple jacks would be needed. T/DIF and Alesis Lightpipe are the only two interfaces that I know of that can carry 8 tracks of audio on the same output.

You will probably need to list what digital console you have for people to help you. Some have more capability with interfacing with different digital protocols than others.

Ed

Thanks Ed and Trak,

Forgive me for these basic mixing questions. I was introduced to the world of homerecording working on my computer. I have very limited experience with hands on mixing as I have never even owned a porta-studio.

I have a Roland VM-3100 Pro mixer. I bought it a bit spontaneously since the price was under $400. I am learning the basics of it now. I know it has S/PDIF and optical outs. I am not sure if the opticals are alesis lightpipe or not. I know that they sell an optional interface box that converts signals between RMDB2 (roland's protocol I guess) and ADAT/Tascam T/DIF and handles 8-in/8-out digital audio. I am assuming I need to buy this in order to carry 8 tracks of digital audio on the same output. OK, assuming I did buy this interface what sound card would you recommend?

Another question. I have a Darla 24 with 8 outs. With a multi-track recording program such as Vegas Pro or Cakewalk can I route 8 tracks out of my sound card and into the analogue Ins of my mixer? Thanks guys.

Back