Sound card and BoB

Kit,
I'm guessing you're a sailor? As in US Navy? (If I'm wrong, then nevermind on that...)

One of the downsides of the OmniStudio is there's only 2 XLR inputs. If you don't think you'll be using more than 2 condenser mics, then that shouldn't be a problem.

If you're planning to use the keyboard in any MIDI capacity then the Omni isn't a very good choice on that front either. (Unless you keep that SBLive in there for midi purposes.)

For mics I'd suggest:
-Studio Projects C1 or Marshall V67G (for vocals)
-2 Marshall 603s (for the Acoustic guitar, and later for drum OH's)
-Shure SM57 (great to have, all around, will be good for snare)

Queue

definitely keep the SBLive for midi....and when you need more than 4 mics, there are oodles of inputs on the omni that you can use, you'll just need external preamps.....which is ok because its always good to have some "different" sounding preamps.....

for a mic, either the Marshall MXLv67 or the SP C1 would do great on voice and acoustic guitar......

If you are sure you wont be recording drums until 2002, I wouldnt spend alot of $$$$ now because Im guessing those same $$$ will get you alot better gear come April 2002....it doesnt take long for the whole face of computer recording to completely change.......

The Omni is a great package as far as getting your soundcard and preamps all in one........if you want to go cheaper and your computer has USB ports, you can try http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/011003192242024004254167221114?pid=701373

it has the same 2 preamps as the Omni, just doesnt have all the extra inputs and routing........when you do upgrade to something else, you can still use it as a standalone preamp so your $$$ are not wasted......

And Im guessing Navy.....my wife's brother is stationed in Virginia on the Nassau (i think).....

Salior!!! I am a DoD Civilian

Thanks so much. I appreciate all the help. I am very pleased with the attitude of everyone on this BBS.

I am prior Air Force. So you all were close. My home station is in DC and my parents live in Norfolk. I am in the Balkans now. SCARY!!!!

Kitwell,
Threw us off with the Norfolk thingy. Hope things are calm in the Balkans. Keep us posted on the setup. Lots of helpful people here. When ya get it going, put something up in the MP3 Mixing clinic. Tons of great advice on recording and mixing in there.

Queue

>When you can get people to actually answer your posts.

Eurythmic: I hope my post count will assure you that I try to answer any posts where I can shed some light. If I have no clue how to address your problem I will remain silent as I think that is more helpful than just spouting bullshit.

There's lots of talent here and lots of people that are playing or have played with the same stuff you are. Patience and Peace.

drstawl, I didn't mean for that to be a dig at anyone in particular. I'm sorry if you felt insulted.

I do think that things can get very clique-y here, but at the same time this is where I've gotten all of my most valuable recording tips. That's what keeps me coming back!

I bought the Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96. It is a little overkill for what I need right now. I would have bought the Omni Duo but I refuse to do business with Musiciansfriend. In my experience there customer support is 0. The support I received from Sweetwater was outstanding and that was enough to get me to spend the extra bucks. Thanks for all your help.

I just hope Aardvark come out with a better W2K driver. By the sound of all the threads that I have read the beta driver isn’t even worth trying. But, it looks like I will be going back to ME in the meantime.

Thanks
kit

Kitwell,
Everybody loves to trash-talk WinMe. Granted, it is not much of an improvement (if any) over Win98SE, and if you have Win98SE, that is a (slightly) better way to go.

-but-

I've been using WinMe with my Aardvark DP 24/96 for a year or so, and it runs great. Be sure to get the latest (non-beta) drivers from the Aardvark download site.

Queue

Back