Sound Card

pauldee

Hi there, I wonder if I could get some sound advice as to how I can purchase the right sound card. My needs are broad. I will need broadcastable quality. I want to record comedy sketches for my hospital radio programme adding digital sound effects. I would also like to be able to record my own music guitar and midi keyboard. I would also like to record 45 minute relaxation tracks with background music and dialogue.
My old pc is clapped out and I am on the verge of buying a Dell 8200, 1.8Ghz with 256MB single channel (SDRAM), 60GB ULtra ATA 7200rpm Hard Drive. This machine has a turtle beach santa cruz dsp sound card, and someone told me it wouldn't cater for my needs. I am thinking of buying the sound card seperately.
My budget is in and around the $300 mark for a good quality easy to use sound card that I can use with or without my mixer/amp.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Paul Dee

Give the Santa Cruz card a try first....it is not bad quality, actually one of the better consumer type cards....

If you do decide to step up, the Delta Audiophile is more than enough card for your needs and goes for $159...save the extra $$$ to upgrade mic, preamp, or cords if necessary.....

As much as I like the Delta soundcards for your purposes something with good on board preamps might be better.

M-Audio (the manufactures of the Delta soundcards) have a new usb sound interface coming out soon that has built in preamps. They may be mac only though :(.

Another option is get the Delta Audiophile and get one of their audio buddy preamps. They have gotten great reviews.

I love my M-Audio Delta 44. I can't wait to see what the price is going to be for the 1010LT. I need more inputs for recording drums and live stuff.

Back