Sound card with 2 inputs for stereo recording

joeboy235

Hi there,

I'm very out of the loop, which is why I need some help:

My budget is approximately £75-150

I need a sound card with 2 x 1/4 inch input for my stereo Drum machine/guitar effects pedal
and some kind of output to some speakers.

If anyone could help me with a recommendation, I would be very appreciative.
Thank you,
Joe.

Sure, I don't have any objections to USB, I only worried about the latency(?)/. Is the slow speed of USB - 10/15mbs - not too low?

With the correct settings the only time you may notice latency when recording is when you are monitoring a high-resource signal chain (like DIing your guitar into a Guitarrig, for example). Normally you are direct monitoring and latency is not an issue.

Yes, mjbphotos is right. When we first got our USB interface, we were stuck with an ancient computer but still had no problem with any audio latency. Also, USB 2.0 apparently places the samples back where they were originally tracked even if there is a small delay in the transfer. I honestly think USB is the most practical method for a typical home studio.

Just for the record, the max speed of USB2 is 480Mbit/s or about 35MB/sec, more than enough for audio up to about 16 tracks at one time.

Get one with direct hardware monitoring and, except for MIDI work, latency doesn't come into it.

The Tascams are good, also have a look at a FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2 which should be nicely in your price range.

Back