Sound Blaster Platnium: 44.1 or 96KHz???

Genie

I was wondering if it would be better to multitrack(in cakewalk) at 96KHz rather than 44.1 and then when done with the project just record the entire mix in a wav editor at 44.1KHz for burning to CD. The reason i ask is because i'm sure the sound quality is better at 96KHz but when you record something on this soundcard the quality decreases(from a mic or wav to wav etc...)When i record the mix (or mixdown) @ 44.1 or even at 96KHz i still lose sound quality and this is distinguishable with the naked ear. Does anybody know what the i'm trying to say??? Hoping to avoid painstaking experimentation.

The Live! does everything at 48, so your best bet is to stay there anyway. BTW - recording at 96 takes a huge amount of horsepower

Hey Genie, have I missed something?

To my knowledge, the Live! range of soundcards don't support 96kHz recording, so if you try, you're more likely to get error messages than anything else!

Someone do tell me if I'm saying something stupid!

unreal

ah,,, yeah...

ah,, yeah...i'm an idiot. sorry, i didn't have my facts straight. thanks for putting me back on the straight and narrow. i have been recording at 44.1KHz but after reading about the the bit stuff on digido.com i believe i'll go with 48. However, can i burn a wav (onto a cdr) that has been recorded at 48KHz. Seems i've had problems with this before and had to convert but then again...

Refusing to retire my mullet...

Waves are just date files. You can write any kind of data file to a *data* CD. This is the way you want to do it if you're storing audio and want to preserve its quality (no AD conversion, no jitter).

Only burn audio CD's when you have to. When the time comes, you'll have to step down from 48khz to 44.1Khz...my guess is that this option is best performed by the "mixdown" function of your mixing software.

Slackmaster 2000

Back