Sorry if this has already been discussed, but HELP!

Mozart1220

I built a new computer and because I liked my old Sound Blaster Live so much, I got a Sound Blaster Z. The improvement in playback was profound, but I can't get it to do what I want recording wise. I use Sonar 8 Producer, and Reason 5. I installed ASIO4all and that solved many problems. Reason works FINE. Sonar plays back fine. They playback together fine. I have always used a Mackie ProFX12 running the line out into my line in of the sound card. It worked fine with the SB Live but now I get latency and nothing through the meters on Sonar.

My computer is Intel core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.2Ghz 8 GB ram Windows 7.

I sold a Tascam 38B 4 track RTR to pay for the rebuild and now I can't record at all!

I have more than 100 pieces of music on Sonar and I know the program so I really don't want to change that. I am NOT good with computers, I just know how to get the sounds l like and how to mix when done. I'm so CLOSE to what I need, but also so far.

HELP!!

Even if SBZ is not the ideal recording device, you should be able to get something recorded. Maybe there is a configuration problem somewhere.

SBL or SBZ: neither are designed for full duplex recording, i.e. recording while playing back with low latency.

You would benefit from getting an audio interface to go between Mackie and computer and to replace the soundblaster. A simple two-channel one is not too expensive these days.

Even if SBZ is not the ideal recording device, you should be able to get something recorded. Maybe there is a configuration problem somewhere.

SBL or SBZ: neither are designed for full duplex recording, i.e. recording while playing back with low latency.

You would benefit from getting an audio interface to go between Mackie and computer and to replace the soundblaster. A simple two-channel one is not too expensive these days.

The SB Live worked FINE. I would have kept it but it wouldn't work with Windows 7. For a while I could record with the SBZ, but only "Master" meaning track 1 was track 1, track 2 was 1&2, track 3 was 1,2, & 3 and so on. On the old computer I also had a cheap little shareware "stereo recorder" which allowed by to record quick sketches, ambient noise (mostly thunderstorms) etc. It had a list I could choose from Master (what you hear) line in, mic, etc. I can't find that ANYWHERE today. I have Audacity now, but it has no "mixer" screen and none of my Sonar files are compatible. Not only will they only import one track at a time, but they play as a squeal.

It shouldn't be this difficult.

There's settings in the ASIO4All driver, it sounds like you will want to increase your buffer size to resolve latency issues. Doing this may result in dropouts though, so there will be a compromise between no dropouts and reduced latency. Try 512-756 samples

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/envsettings_asio4all.htm

Also make sure you have the latest ASIO4ALL driver (I think 2.12) available:

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

GZ is correct in suggesting an upgrade, as you're only trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole. ASIO4ALL is a patch, not a solution. For the relatively low cost/performance ratio on today's USB interfaces, there's really no reason not to get one (other than if you still need to game with the computer you're recording on, as the usb interface may not be ideal for a gaming setup). In the case of a gaming setup, you can keep the PCI sound card for gaming, plugin the usb interface when recording (disabling the Creative card in device manager so it doesn't interfere/utilize resources).

Well I don't know how he did it, (and honestly neither does he), but my friend who is an IT tech got my stuff up and running. However, when I recently installed a regular Windows update, I got an "echo" effect through the line in. I had to do a "system restore" to before the upgrade and now all works again.

Well I don't know how he did it, (and honestly neither does he), but my friend who is an IT tech got my stuff up and running. However, when I recently installed a regular Windows update, I got an "echo" effect through the line in. I had to do a "system restore" to before the upgrade and now all works again.

Right, now FFS create a Restore point and label it " very lucky sod who has got a SB card working well!"

Even better, get your IT opo to give you some imaging software AND SHOW YOU HOW TO USE IT! (then maybe he will PM me and do the same?).

If you don't have one already NOW is the time to buy a 1TB or bigger USB (3.0 for very preff) hard drive and make images and backups. Also get stuff stored in a "cloud".

Now, Audacity is very fine but not really the thing for track building. Reaper is very well thought of but do check out MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Silver.

Dave.

Better yet, upgrade to a usb interface. Living indefinitely without windows updates isn't a fix either.

Well, thanks for all the congratulations and "glad it worked for you" posts.

See, I don't have hundreds of dollars for the interfaces and all the "in " programs you guys like.

Sorry I bothered you.

See, I don't have hundreds of dollars for the interfaces and all the "in " programs you guys like.

Sorry I bothered you.

A basic audio interface will cost you about <$100 on eBay, and reaper is free to try and use. Payment is optional and the price is very reasonable.
Thanks for assuming we're all gear snobs, though.

If you got what you have working, that's even better.

Sorry I bothered you.

Every hobby requires money, sorry you think everything should be free. You need the proper tools. You wouldn't go mountain biking in this:

k2-_84857c42-4211-453b-b7cf-0433997cc657.v1.jpg

The cost/performance in home recording has never been better than it is now.

You're looking at $100+ for an interface plus Sonar upgrade (usually pretty cheap directly from cakewalk's website), or switch to another DAW like Reaper. I assume you're using Sonar 8, they offer discounts upgrading to the latest. Click the embedded link.

Last edited:
Back