Sorry dumb interface question

mansh

Hello, I use Cubase and my interface is the Steinberg CI2. I've optimized the performance settings on my laptop, so there's not much I can do there. Recently, I've been getting a lot of pops etc. when I open the monitor, the RAM is fine, but the ASIO is peaking. If I'm to upgrade, which bit of the technical spec denotes more ASIO 'power'?

---------- Update ----------

Thanks for any help btw

If you are only "getting the pops recently" something has changed. Have you recently installed any new hardware or software? If not you still might have "acquired" a new program or something, a wireless adaptor perhaps might have been turned back on.

Run a latency checker and if it spikes go into Device Manager and turn things off until you find the culprit.

Dave.

Hi Dave, you're right, but what changed is I bought a new Guitar multi fx pedal, so have been recording more stereo audio tracks , rather than mono and applying fx via vsts. I just prefer this but it's less economical on ASIO.

If you've done all the basic things that you should do...turn off wi-fi, turn off on-board audio, set power schemes to 'always on', disable Windows sounds etc, etc etc. I'd have a look within Windows Task Manager and see what's going on there...CPU, Ram etc to check how much resources you're using up of the total resources your PC has available. I'd also try raising my latency within my audio interface and see if this helps, and turn off stuff you don't need to have on....could be anything from virus software, to unused inputs/outputs etc. Or, the Steinberg interface is just crappy, dunno.

It's usually CPU. At a certain point disk speed starts to factor in, but I'd look at processor speed first.

Back