Sonuus G2M - problems connecting to computer

Dr. Mindermast

I just picked up a G2M and a MIDI-USB adapter so I can record on my computer. Unfortunately, it's not giving me any sound - the MIDI light on the G2M is flickering (which I assume is at least decent if not great), and the recording software does recognize that I have a MIDI device plugged in, but it doesn't record any sound. I found a thread on the Sonuus support forum where one of the admins says "this [using a MIDI-USB adapter] isn't possible inside the G2M because the hardware doesn't support USB." I posted a question about it over there, but I have no idea how long it'll be until I get a response, so in the meantime I thought I'd check over here as well. Has anyone had any success hooking up a G2M with a computer?

I use a G2Mv2 with a MAudio UNO into a mac mini, no problems. If you got one of those $5.00 Amazon USB/MIDI specials, they don't work--at least the latency is pretty bad with the one I have. The guy who runs the Sonuus forum is pretty good about helping find solutions.

I use the Sonuus in Logic Express 9, Garageband X, and standalone SampleTank and Kontact, tracks pretty well as long as you stay away from the lower two strings, then you have to fudge a little.

It was indeed a cheapo adapter off of Amazon. Is there a good way to test and make sure that's the problem, given that I don't have any other MIDI equipment? Is this the kind of thing I might be able to take over to Guitar Center to figure out?

Do you have MIDI input on your interface? That's pretty much the only other way short of a good (MAudio, Yamaha) USB adapter. You can also have problems with your MIDI cables--I bought a new MIDI cable to go with the Sonuus, it was bad from the start.

GC might be good if you have no other way to check things.

Don't have an interface, so that's a no go. Looks like MAudio or something similar might be the way to go for me, once I have a little extra money to throw around (I know, it's not that expensive as far as audio equipment goes, but for personal finances this is stuck near bottom priority for the time being :/ ).

Back