Someone out there recording with Linux??

Havoc

Is there someone on this forum recording audio under Linux? Until now never really had problems with windows, but my recent upgrade is getting the best of me.

As more and more cards are coming out with linux drivers, I searched for applications. But are there any? Also, is there anything like a VST or DX plugin? Found a few things, but nothing that looked like something workable, complete, .... don't know, it never looks trustable.

So if you are recording audio with linux, can you drop a line with the following info:

1: soundcard
2: application
3: plug-in's

Thanks

The M-audio delta series soundcards work under linux with oss.

There are a few mulittrack recording programs in the works. Audacity is the only one I have tried so far. Its kind of cooledit pro meets sound forge. They have pretty good multiplatform support too. Not many effects yet. They have a compressor in development along with a few other things.

There isn't any standard for audio plugins yet nor any realtime effects.

Their isn't enough demand for this kind of stuff in linux yet. The people developing this stuff are CS students and not musicans for the most part. They don't seem to have any 24bit support yet. Nothing yet of any use to other than for some kid who wants to play with a $10 computer mic.

What I want right now is a good program that will let me record say 24 24bit/48khz tracks at a time in wav format no frills text based interface. Basicly something reliable for live recording. I will switch to win2k, and use CEP to do my editing and such.

FYI: the reason to switch to linux is just W2K and CEP!! W2K only has 16-bit wave drivers. If you want 24-bit you need WDM and CEP has no WDM so far.

There are linux programs out there that have everything needed like ardour or ecasound. Ardour can record up to 32-bit if you find a soundcard that can give you that. Ecasound has a commandline interface if you want it, not sure about 24-bit. Will check out audacity.

So doing it is not a problem, but I would like to avoid spending a couple of months trying them all out.

Thanks

24 bit playback seems to work fine unless I have been using 16 bit with CEP all along, it only has options for 16 and 32 bits, I assuemed when in 32 bit mode it would record from my 24 bit soundcard(delta 44) at 24 bits.

I thought wdm was the same thing wave device, god that stuff is confusing, even for me who has been using and programming computers long before I started recording.

So I thought also, but when following a thread on planetZ about the pulsar cards, this came up. I went looking at microsoft and found a white paper about WDM. It appears (I cannot follow every little detail to be honest) that there is a difference between wave en wdm drivers. Wave drivers are limited to 16-bit (and max 8 in and 8 out), wdm is 24-bit. Also wdm allows "kernel streaming". In this mode, the data goes through the kmixer application that brings every audiostream together and applies SRC if needed. As you don't have any control over this kmixer, you have to trust microsoft.

Only thing is that now CEP does not recognise the 24-bit wave devices of pulsar. If you can however record 24-bit through wave drivers into CEP, then there must be something wrong with the pulsar drivers.

If you go in CEP to the devices tab under settings, is 24-bit packed and 32-bit unpacked support acitvated??

Back