Are some DAWs just more stable than others?

OK, so X1 is totally uninstalled now. And since this PC isn't usually connected to the web, I realize there are probably a bunch of Windows updates needed so I'm doing that now. Then I'll reinstall X1.

Thanks again everybody for taking the time to help out! It's very much appreciated.

X1 is reinstalled and I just did some final recording of some upright bass parts and did a few vocal takes as well. Then did some editing that would have had a 50/50 chance of crashing it a few days ago and all is good. Audio Engine stopped once while I was doing some trimming during playback but I'll take that any day of the week.

It's probably premature to think it's "fixed" but I had one productive 90 minutes here actually working on music :) thanks again everyone.

I appreciate everybody's feedback and thoughts. I did have a couple VSTs running, but most recently it was on a song that had only effects that came with Sonar.

I'll confess, I don't follow the comment about overclock, or what 0.6ghz OC is? Can you dumb that down for me? I'll try anything at this point... thanks again.

FFS. Turns out intel thought it was a great idea to have two totally different processors and call them both e6700.
Idiots.

Please ignore what I said.

As others have said, your computer seems like it should handle the recording process. And, with some of the help you've already received, it looks like you might be on the road to getting this figured out. But, there are some simple maintenance things you should consider, also.

Because most audio files are so large, you need sufficient disk space to work. How much is debatable, but if you are limited to less than 1 third of your drive space, you might need to upgrade. And if you are limited in space, those audio files are opened where ever Windows can find space so it could be those files are spread all over your drive, in any available space it can find. If you haven't defragmented your drives, you should do so on a regular schedule. Keeping any free drive space as contiguous as possible would be a big plus.

Also, Windows takes up quiet a bit of available resources and many DAWs also have so many whistles and bells that they use up a lot just opening. I don't know about Sonar, so it might be small enough not to be a problem in that way. And adjusting the size of your Windows swap file could be beneficial or maybe the drive for where the primary is opened, secondary, etc. Some people say to let Windows decide that, but you can sometimes read up on swap files and be able to tweak yours. A large setting can be beneficial, but sometimes too large can be more harm than benefit. Whatever you do with the swap file, remember what it was set at before you start messing with it, so you can put it back to the Windows set, if you want.

Also, depending on your interface, the driver for that hardware might not be stable. You might want to check for any updates to it, and even check their web site for any possible glitches in one driver or the next. Usually, if you have the lastest driver for something, it's the best one. But sometimes, there are small updates that fix unforeseen problems. And there can also be software that isn't working together, like you'd hope. Loading a lot of VSTs, be them VSTi or effects can also drain your resources down pretty quickly.

Any time you are searching for the solution to a computer problem, it's best to keep track of what you've changed, and don't change too many things at once. If you change too much at once and something goes wrong, you don't know which thing you changed was the cause or if it was a combination of things. Go slow with any changes and keep track of what your doing. Also, do backups before you make any major changes that you can't revert from. Things like this can keep you awake at night.

While your issues might be DAW related, it's always good to keep up with necessary maintenance on your computer, so you can hopefully cancel that out as part of your problem.

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Means a heap error. (i.e. memory corruption.) While this can be caused by hardware failing, I would assume a software bug first.

In which case I would recommend:
1. Apply all of the official patches and updates to cakewalk and all of your plugins. (The bug is probably there, so they're responsible to fix it.)
2. Update all of your drivers (video, audio, mobo, etc). A bug in a driver is more likely to result in a BSoD than a program crash, but it doesn't hurt.
3. Update Windows - they maintain a long list of exceptions, so they might have fixed the bug even if cakewalk didn't.

In general, that's the best route to go with issues like this before you really start getting into the weeds of swapping out hardware. (Plus, stay on top of your general maintenance: cleaning dust, defragmenting HDs, etc.)

Sonar could be having issues, but that would be the last place I would look. I would look at VSTs, not just the number, but what each VST is doing in terms of resource usage. Some/many are not very efficient with resource management and may work well alone, but they don't play well with others.

While hardware can deteriorate, you should also look at a little house cleaning. Not just the hard drive, but also your computer's inside. Close it down, unplug and blast the dirt out. Out of the power supply, the MB, the CPU fan, the case fan, every where. Make sure air is moving.

Do a HD scan for errors. Sometimes files get corrupt and just need to be repaired. It happens for various reason, but do a scan. If you see bad sector errors, then do a scan a few times a month and if your continue to see sectors errors, your HD is slowly dying. Start looking a possible replacement.

Don't underestimate what dust in your older computer can do to performance and stability.

Back