Some basic questions

SilverCarvin

I've been looking to get started recording and have a couple of ?s. I browsed through the old posts and got a couple answered (since we all hate repeats), but I still have a few. Sorry if I accidently repeat anyway, I see it all the time on guitar forums and I know it makes you want to pull out your hair... :rolleyes:

1.) What contributes more to the overall quality of the sound captured: Interface/soundcard or the tracking program being used? I realize that this may be quite broad, since there are lots of other factors which contribute such as mike quality and technique, room ambience, etc. but what exactly is the difference between $50 Powertracks and $5000 Pro Tools? It may be a matter of apples and oranges, but hopefully you can shed some light...

2.) In that same vein, I've seen lots of demos (hitsquad.com, etc.) but haven't used any yet. Is what seperates the demo version of Sonar 3, for example, from the purchased version a cut in features or quality. I'm not that big into fx and directx plugins seem to be quite prevelent anyway, but is there an alteration in the sound quality capabilities in the demo version or multitrack programs, or are just some of the bells and whistles dropped?

3.) How do I tell if a connection is balanced or unbalanced? Is it generally better record with all balanced connections?

4.) What precautions should I take to make sure I don't fry anything, such as a soundcard? I can probably find this on my own, but figured I throw it out there...

5.) How do you tell if a preamp is "good" enough to record with. Is it safe to assume that the ones which come in USB interfaces are pretty much all you need? PCIs need a seperate preamp and/or phantom power, correct? What should I look for if I go this route

6.) I think I might go USB versus PCI, but I'd like to have the option of recording a properly miked drum kit, which poses a problem with USB. Which would be more cost effective: to mix down to one track through a mixer then send it through the usb interface should I ever want to record 5+ channels simulataneoulsy, or just go for a delta 1010 package system that comes with I/O panal. Will this card handle that much audio at once?

I'm trying to build a basic DAW that I can get good results from for a minimal amount of $ (who isn't, right?) A local band did a great sounding record with a demo of Sonar 3, some fx plugins and a 8 channel XLR I/O box and it turned our great, so its indeed possible!

Thanks!

Matt

SilverCarvin said:
1.) What contributes more to the overall quality of the sound captured: Interface/soundcard or the tracking program being used? I realize that this may be quite broad, since there are lots of other factors which contribute such as mike quality and technique, room ambience, etc. but what exactly is the difference between $50 Powertracks and $5000 Pro Tools? It may be a matter of apples and oranges, but hopefully you can shed some light...

The sound card and your equiptment contribute more to the recording more than the programs. Your computer itself may as well, depending on the speed, RAM, and hard drive you're using. As for the programs, the difference lies in the features, ease of use, and support.

2.) In that same vein, I've seen lots of demos (hitsquad.com, etc.) but haven't used any yet. Is what seperates the demo version of Sonar 3, for example, from the purchased version a cut in features or quality. I'm not that big into fx and directx plugins seem to be quite prevelent anyway, but is there an alteration in the sound quality capabilities in the demo version or multitrack programs, or are just some of the bells and whistles dropped?

Bells and whistles it is. The program maker should list what features are disabled in their demo versions.

3.) How do I tell if a connection is balanced or unbalanced? Is it generally better record with all balanced connections?

From my understanding, XLR connections, and stereo 1/4" or 1/8" are always balanced.
RCA and mono 1/4" or 1/8" are usually unbalanced, but I believe they can be balanced sometimes.

Yes, it is generally better to use balanced connections. It is argueable, but you do not get a terrible amount of noise from unbalanced connections though.

4.) What precautions should I take to make sure I don't fry anything, such as a soundcard? I can probably find this on my own, but figured I throw it out there...

The best way is to use an anti-static wrist strap (shouldn't be hard to find) or grounded wrist strap, but failing that, make sure you turn everything off, unplug everything, and open the computer. Touch the chassis (metal frame) to discharge any static before handling the soundcard.

5.) How do you tell if a preamp is "good" enough to record with. Is it safe to assume that the ones which come in USB interfaces are pretty much all you need? PCIs need a seperate preamp and/or phantom power, correct? What should I look for if I go this route

Some PCI cards have preamps, though I'm not positive they're actual preamps. For phantom power, it's almost definite. Couldn't tell you what preamps or card to get. It all depends on what you want to do. Tell us a bit more.

6.) I think I might go USB versus PCI, but I'd like to have the option of recording a properly miked drum kit, which poses a problem with USB. Which would be more cost effective: to mix down to one track through a mixer then send it through the usb interface should I ever want to record 5+ channels simulataneoulsy, or just go for a delta 1010 package system that comes with I/O panal. Will this card handle that much audio at once?

You are correct about the USB route. You would need a FireWire interface to record drums efficiently if you want external. It would probably be better in the long run to record the channels separately. Were you looking at the Delta 1010 or the Delta 1010LT. There is a big difference there with the breakout box vs. cables. The 1010 costs a good deal more than the 1010LT. The only main difference is that the 1010 has all balanced/unbalanced ins/outs while the 1010LT has RCA ins/outs and 2 XLRs that are mic level ready.

I'm trying to build a basic DAW that I can get good results from for a minimal amount of $ (who isn't, right?) A local band did a great sounding record with a demo of Sonar 3, some fx plugins and a 8 channel XLR I/O box and it turned our great, so its indeed possible!

Well, it sounds like the 1010LT might be for you. Defintely check into it. You will still need a mixer and/or preamps to make use of mics on the RCA inputs.

I suggest you don't even consider usb. Have a look at the Presonus Firepod.

It's got 8 inputs, 8 preamps, phantom power etc. all hooked up with firewire and it comes with Cubase 'lite'.

Use it with your desktop or laptop. Everything you need in one box for under $600 and you won't need to upgrade for quite a while.

I think if I went with the 1010LT or 1010 I would go with the 1010 because it is mic ready. But on the downside, I still need preamps. And that interface doesn't have a headphone out. That Firepod looks promising. I was, and still am considering a simple US-122 or 428. Even though it is USB it still is inexpensive, and I could upgrade later ifI wanted to add drums. Is is reasonable to assume that with preamps or a mixer, the cost of a 1010 would equal or surpass the Firepod in price? In terms of what I'm looking for, I'd like to have the option of midi and keys for future use, but right now I'm looking to track guitar bass and vocals with a drum mahcine. So it will be mostly straight audio recording. I'm trying to find a best price/performance deal on the interface because it is a critical aspect of recording and I still have to get a condesner mic and some monitors. What would you do?

Thats why that firepod looks nice. Granted there is no control surface, but its pretty much plug and go from the looks of it.

Any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated, thanks for the responses already!

Matt

One other thing..hah is a firewire port the same as usb, or is that a whole other component? As you can tell, I'm quite ignorant on all this! ;)

SilverCarvin said:
One other thing..hah is a firewire port the same as usb, or is that a whole other component? As you can tell, I'm quite ignorant on all this! ;)

There are entirely different beasts, and of course using different cables.

The 1010 is a good unit, but once you drop $450 on that and then have to stump up for a mixer and s/w, you can see why the Firepod is such a good deal.

You need to check your motherboard to see if it has a firewire port. Have a look for a spec that says IEEE1394. If it doesn't have one you can drop in a pci card with a firewire port.

Again let me recommend you don't look at usb. If you want something cheaper just to get by & upgrade later, have a look at the 2-input pci cards like the M Audio Audiophile or E-Mu 0404. Both go for under $100

The demo version of Sonar 3 (or Sonar 4, for that matter) is fully functional with all bells and whistles. It just does not allow you to save or export your work. Therefore, any work you perform is lost when you close the session.

It is an excellent way to allow you to use and get familiar with the program - however, by design, it is useless for doing any actual work. :)

dachay2tnr said:
The demo version of Sonar 3 (or Sonar 4, for that matter) is fully functional with all bells and whistles. It just does not allow you to save or export your work. Therefore, any work you perform is lost when you close the session.

It is an excellent way to allow you to use and get familiar with the program - however, by design, it is useless for doing any actual work. :)
That really sucks! What if I want to have my cake and eat it too!? I have to dish out lots more $. Although the firepod has cubase lite, so that will take care of my basic recording needs :)

Back