Solo composer/home recorder needs some start up advice on gear & set-up

ZDHart

I'm an accomplished guitarist and spend most of my playing time coming up with compositional elements, which I like to develop and flesh out, with multi-track recording... lay down a rhythm track with guitar, then a bass line, then add melodic and harmony parts with guitar, then add other software instruments and sounds as triggered by an Akai MPK25 Keyboard Controller.

I use a MacMini Server running GarageBand as my DAW., with a Mac 27" Thunderbolt Display.

Monitoring is provided by Tannoy System 800 passive studio monitors, powered by an NAD integrated power amp, and an M&K 12" sealed/powered sub woofer. Since the room is quite "live" at present, I'm using headphones for most of my "sonic" decisions.

So, as a solo musician, most of my recording consists of just one input at a time. My input method has been one of two ways:

1) Electric guitar into Yamaha THR10 amp, USB out to MacMini USB port.
2) Akai MPK25 Keyboard Controller, USB out to MacMini USB port.

I have not used a mic input of any kind yet, but would like to be able to do so for vocals and for micing some of my guitar amps. The only mics I have now are the two stereo mics on a Zoom H4n digital recorder. I believe I can use them as a mic input source to the Mac, though I haven't looked into doing that as yet.

What I think I need is a high quality, yet fairly simple Audio Interface device. I would like to have at least two inputs on the device, though typically it's just me recording, so one is usually all that's needed. Ive heard that the Duet is of great quality, but limited I/O options. I'm wondering if there might be another AI device which plays well with Macs and has a few more inputs and reasonably good quality as well.

I would also like to pick up a good mic which will serve triple duty for vocals, micing an acoustic guitar, and for micing the speaker of either my seventies-era Fender Champ amplifier or my new Blues Deluxe amp.

So.... I would greatly appreciate recommendations for an AI device which will work well with the MacMini and a versatile mic to record vocals, acoustic guitar, and guitar amps.

Also, is USB the best way to go these days for inputting to Macs? My MacMini has FW800 and USB 2.0 ports. If USB 3.0 is important, I can trade in my MacMini for the latest model which has USB 3.

Thanks, in advance, for your recommendations!

If you only need a maximum of two simultaneous inputs, then there are lots of USB audio interface choices, like the Steniberg U22, etc.
One mic to record all 3 choices (vocals, acoustic guitar and amp) can be done, but the best for one application are seldom the best for another - what is your budget?
A simple condensor mic like an AKG Perception 220 will do all this miking, it has a pad switch making it usable for amp miking.

Of course you can also use the Zoom as an auio interface and plug external mics into it, as well, so you may want to start with a mic first.

If you only need a maximum of two simultaneous inputs, then there are lots of USB audio interface choices, like the Steniberg U22, etc.
One mic to record all 3 choices (vocals, acoustic guitar and amp) can be done, but the best for one application are seldom the best for another - what is your budget?
A simple condensor mic like an AKG Perception 220 will do all this miking, it has a pad switch making it usable for amp miking.

Of course you can also use the Zoom as an auio interface and plug external mics into it, as well, so you may want to start with a mic first.

They just did a review on the Perception and Guitar Center, Amazon and a few others have if for $99 US. Probably not a bad starting place.

mjb... thanks, I'll have a look at the U22. And the AKG Perception 220 as well. Thank you.

DM60... I will look for the review on the Perception. Thanks.

I've read that it can be important for Mac users to select a model which is known to play well with the Mac. Apparently the Apogee Duet does this very well and MOTU products apparently do as well. Any other recommendations other folks can offer would be appreciated.

Back