Software to software recording

rerion

I sometimes need to record the audio off of a video (avi) file. I used to do it with Audacity and my internal sound card. I would simply use my video editing software to play the video clip, start up Audacity, and record it. I recently hooked up a Presonus firebox for recording and I switched my Windows audio input and output to the Presonus box because it sounds so much better than the internal sound. The problem is that now I can't seem to get any recording software (Audacity, Cubase) to record the audio while playing the video. It seems I'm missing some sort of link from the audio out to the audio in. I never had to do anything special to make it work with the internal audio so I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I agree that re-recording is a bit klunky. I started doing it because I didn't have, or know, of a way to rip the audio from the avi file. If you know how, you could tell me.
On the other hand it still leaves me wondering what the answer is to what seems like a pretty basic question. Why can't I get the output of one program to the input of another with my Firebox when it was easy with my crappy native built in sound?

Thanks

You are probably tieing up the ASIO driver (two apps cant use it at once) but you should be able to export the audio from your video app. Alternativly, you should be able to drop the video into cubase and rip the audio there

Thanks for the ideas but my video editor does not export audio files and when I drop the avi into Cubase I get the video ok but there is no sound.

I tried Cakewalk instead of Cubase and found that if I import the avi file there it puts the audio in a separate track. I can even split stereo into two tracks if I want. Then I just do whatever I need to do with it and mix it to audio out to create my final version. I don't know why it doesn't work in Cubase but I'll assume it's me and not the program.

Thanks

Back