In the software and Plug-in world what are trackers?

presto5

I got a free few gigs of plugins from Computer music mag on a CD that says 99 free plugins. In the sleeve it lists all the goodies and it lists Trackers from Arkos, SunVox , Buzz and OpenMPT...anyone have these? Or the yellow sleeve with a CD of free plugs from that mag?

A tracker is a type of sequencer. In their most simple forms, there is a grid like representation of time called a pattern editor and the software scrolls down this grid and triggers samples/instruments...ect at the pitch (playback rate) selected.

Tracker (music software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have used OpenMPT and Renoise. They are useful for tiggering VSTI drums. They are more popular with the trance/electronica crowd.

I have a friend who loves using them for MIDI drum triggering. Not sure which one he uses, but I'm sure it doesn't matter much. He sampled all his real drums and created his own sound for it all which was cool. I've never used one personally though. You can generally do all that kinda stuff in a fully fledged DAW now. I think he just uses it because it's what he's always known and it works for him.

Back