Software for beginners

Orson

I need DAW and some kind of misic making software for a beginner to make simple background music (no Bohemian Rhapsody).

I have been searching Youtube and quite like the way Fruity Loops works for a beginner like me.

Anybody got recommendations or opinions on this type of software?

If F L is working for you, stick with it.

But there really are no DAWs "for beginners"! Just as there are no guitars* (or kbds, clarinets di-da) for same. You get what there is and find what you need to do the job.

*There are of course CHEAP instruments but that can be a hindrance to progress. You don't need a $20,000 vintage Strat to larn on but it should be well setup and have decent intonation.

Dave.

Dave I have never used FL's yet, just seen it on Youtube and it looks ok for a dummy like me to get started on. Just wanted to know from others on how/what they first learned on.

I think that what you start with depends on your needs in the future, combined with your musical abilities.

If for you, music is essentially compiling, manipulating and tweaking short or long already recorded source material, the loop based tools are pretty good. If you want to record real instruments, or deal in any way with MIDI, then loop based sequencing can often fail to please. You get good at using it, then come up against real brick walls, where the software doesn't just do things poorly, but often cannot do it at all! Trouble is, this means you guessing at your destination when you haven't even started.

If you have some real synths, samplers, and can play something - the fruity loops might not be right for you, but if all you have is the computer and some decent monitors, and want a band in a box style approach - it might.

Maybe draw up a list of essentials, nice if possibles and occasional features and see if Fruity Loops fits?

I started with Cubase, found it hard then - around 94, think, on an Atari, in black and white and the notion of a mouse and icons was brand new! Loads of people say how hard Cubase is, but it's just a complex bit of kit that takes real time to get to know well. I hate Logic - but this is ONLY because it's different, and I don't know my way around it, meaning when I have to use it I'm slow and that causes resentment. My friends who use it HATE Cubase for exactly the same reason. I used to use a simple graphics package, hating Photoshop, until I needed to learn it, and now I really can't see why I did not use it earlier, apart from laziness!

Orson. I did not realize you had not tried FL. Virtually all the major DAWs are available as a trial download, I would be very surprised if FL is not one of them.

As Rob says, much depends upon what you want to do NOW and perhaps in the future but whatever you try be prepared to put in a fair bit of work even to just get signals in and out!

Of course, you really should start with hardware, an Audio Interface and most of those come with a very good starter DAW.

Dave.

Dave with my Zoom H5 recorder Cubase Le 8 came as a download and I cant get the sound to work on it, so when I saw how easy FL was to use on youtube I thought that will suit me as I do not want to make more than simple background music to videos.

Back