Soft Synths...are there any more like this one?

Noplasticrobots

I mess around with an old program for Macintosh called Synth Rose ( http://www.synthrose.com/ ) Well, this program is pretty old and doesn't run too well on the newer OS's. In a nutshell, her's what it does:

"Synth Rose uses algorithms to reproduce
the sounds of typical instruments in a
similar way to vintage synthesizers.
The user can generate their own algorithms
using a simple visual interface."

Basically you drag filters, effects, etc onto a screen and "wire" them up and get a sound. From there you can save it as an instrument and compose with it. I've messed around with some AU plug ins for Garage Band that are sort of similair (Crystal, Buzzer) and I just discovered MacCsound (horribly complicated). I like the idea of "wiring" things together, but I have no idea if this type of program is itself a Soft Synth or what.

So my point?

Does anyone know of any programs like this that are available for the Macintosh (10.2 and above) that are relatively cheap/free? Any input would be appreciated!

For semimodular system you might want to look at Moog Modular V and ARP2600V, both by Arturia.

For truly modular stuff, check out VAZ Modular, Reaktor and SynthEdit. But from these 3 I have no idea which ones are available for Mac. The abovementioned Arturia synths should work with Mac, too.

Back