So you have up to $700 to blow on a soundcard...

...what do you get?

I'm looking to upgrade my card (currently using a WaMi Rack 24, which has served me well), but it's been so long since I shopped for a soundcard I don't know which brands/models are all hype and which ones really deliver, so let your opinions fly!

What offers the best bang for your buck (sound quality, features, etc.)? And remember, it's "up to" $700 -- anything less expensive would be more than welcome... :)

Thanks!

J

maryslittlesecret said:
...what do you get?

I'm looking to upgrade my card (currently using a WaMi Rack 24, which has served me well), but it's been so long since I shopped for a soundcard I don't know which brands/models are all hype and which ones really deliver, so let your opinions fly!

What offers the best bang for your buck (sound quality, features, etc.)? And remember, it's "up to" $700 -- anything less expensive would be more than welcome... :)

Thanks!

J

Do you need preamps?

Only have a one dbx mic preamp right now. Doing most stuff direct (GT-8 for guitar/bass, drum machine, etc) but would like to be able to try live drums at some point...

And in terms of the Firepod, I added a PCI firewire card to my PC - would that work alright or would I be better to find a PCI-based card?

Thanks for the input!

J

maryslittlesecret said:
...what do you get?

Thanks!

J

In your price range, I think this is the best bang for the buck in sound quality IMHO. No pre's though.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/multifa.htm

ECHO Layla 3G

Check out ECHO Layla 3G. I just got it and it's great. I love the ADAT 8x8 interface to my Yamaha 01V96 mixer in addition to the 8x8 analog inputs. I have been using Echo products for the last 6-7 years and they have great support. I paid $409 shipped.

I say if you've been using a wamirack to good success, stick with ESI. I'm guessing that sticking with the same family of something that you know would reduce possible hardware/driver headaches...and me, I'm a big fan of finding what works over what sounds best. The fact that recent ESI driver implementations have put smiles on my face helps too.

2 firepods?

So let's say one had the $$ to burn on two firepods, how much computer would one need to run all 16 tracks at once?

My computer is a P4/1.67 Ghz/768 MB RAM with an added firewire card. Would that do it, or would I need more RAM for sure? What else should I consider if I go this route?

I've got a little money to burn right now and am lusting after some new gear. I'm also using Cakewalk Home Studio 2002, but if I went the Firepod route I would probably upgrade to Sonar.

You guys have any suggestions?

How hard is it to route each input to its own track in the software? I've never played with any firewire interfaces.

Thanks for the input.

raddo said:
So let's say one had the $$ to burn on two firepods...

RME's website says the Fireface...

RME said:
All inputs and outputs can be used at the same time*!. E. g., the instrument input can be used either instead of the line input on the back, or together with it. Even the TRS jack and the XLR socket of the microphone inputs can be used simultaneously. In this way, up to 35 signal sources can be connected to the Fireface 800 and recorded onto 28 separate tracks!

MF is listing it at $1450.

True, but there'd be quite a bit of money to spend to close the 12 preamp gap existing between both solutions...

Sklathill said:
True, but there'd be quite a bit of money to spend to close the 12 preamp gap existing between both solutions...

Maybe he's got a VLZ sitting around.

Back