So what's an audio interface upgrade going to get me?

twangbuck

I'm considering an audio interface upgrade. Right now I'm using a zoom r8 as an interface to record with a windows 7 PC with Cubase le as my daw. I'm going to have about $500. For me clarity is key. I'll be recording at most two tracks at a time, so I don't need a ton of inputs. I'll be recording electric guitars direct, mic'd and re-amped, acoustic guitars, bass direct, keys and vocals. I'll need midi I/O for a drum machine I'm still using (for now). I'm mostly a rock guy, so the electrics will be overdriven and distorted.
What's upgrading from the zoom going to get me? Greater clarity? Overall better sound quality? The zoom is pretty good but I wouldn't say the quality is quite as high as I'd like clarity wise.
Should I upgrade the interface? Should I go with a slightly lesser interface but incorporate a standalone preamp? Right now I'm just using the pre's in the zoom. Thanks!

I doubt that the R8 is the cause of lack of "clarity"? I have read of operational quirkes but nothing bad about the sound. It is however often forgotten that no matter how clean the recording, your only judge is the replay chain and unfortunately many newbs economise in this area.

You say "rock"? Well think on, you would have to pay several $1000 for monitors that could come close to reproducing the sound level of even a 1/2 decent 15watt valve amp! My interest is in classical and jazz music but I am under no illusions about the abiilty of my Tannoy 5As to deliver a "real" concert grand.

I suggest you post clips of both rock and acoustic guitar and let the guys here with excellent monitors, room and ears have a harken.

If you wanted a suggestion for an AI that has won much praise for a sound quality many times its price? Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Never read anyone that said it sounded other than excellent but I have to say I cannot tell mine from my 30(?) year old designed 2496 soundcards nor a Scarlet 8i6!
It DOES beat them all for latency tho!

Dave.

Questions like this come up a lot don't they? "Clarity" and "quality" might seem like simple descriptions...........but they're very subjective and often used to describe other issues. But I'll take a stab at it. It mostly comes down to your pre's and your mics.....for the most part. The better they are........the less likely you'll be describing your problem as a lack of clarity or quality. But they may not be your culprits. The R8 has only 2 inputs and based on what you listed as your needs......the only time you'd have any real limitation would be if you wanted to do a stereo key track and sing at the same time......or something along those lines. The pre's on the R8 are likely not top notch........but it's hard to tell if that's what you're perceiving as a problem. If you wanted to........you could post a sample here and we could give you our opinions regarding clarity and quality.......etc. $500 is great to have to spend for upgrades...........but spent wisely......it will make a difference where it's most needed.

better AD/DA is what really counts, get the audient iD22, it is known for it's clarity, that's the one I'm using now and it's the best interface by far I've owned, the pre-amps on it are also amazing, much better than other interfaces I've heard in the same price range.

better AD/DA is what really counts, get the audient iD22, it is known for it's clarity, that's the one I'm using now and it's the best interface by far I've owned, the pre-amps on it are also amazing, much better than other interfaces I've heard in the same price range.

Yes, gets a good rep in SoS.com but for me, no MIDI so no cigar.

Dave.

Yes, gets a good rep in SoS.com but for me, no MIDI so no cigar.

Dave.

ahh I missed that one, it depends how important midi I/O is to the op, sounds like he only uses a drum machine which can easily be replicated using a VST instrument, personally I think it's worth the compromise for the massive jump in quality.

ahh I missed that one, it depends how important midi I/O is to the op, sounds like he only uses a drum machine which can easily be replicated using a VST instrument, personally I think it's worth the compromise for the massive jump in quality.

Agreed, MIDI ports may or may not be important to the OP but I always see their lack as pennypinching especially on such a comprehensive interface that includes a degree of monitor control. Bit out of budget as well.

"Massive jump in quality" is a bit misleading? Compared to what? It has been said many times in these pages and others that converters are all very good these days (and the ones in my venerable 2496s still not at all bad!) Many things can conspire to spoil a sound but converter quality is well down the list.

Dave.

Agreed, MIDI ports may or may not be important to the OP but I always see their lack as pennypinching especially on such a comprehensive interface that includes a degree of monitor control. Bit out of budget as well.

"Massive jump in quality" is a bit misleading? Compared to what? It has been said many times in these pages and others that converters are all very good these days (and the ones in my venerable 2496s still not at all bad!) Many things can conspire to spoil a sound but converter quality is well down the list.

Dave.

compared to his current zoom recorder, which is frankly terrible quality, I'm not sure I agree with you that converter quality is way down on the list, I think the audient is far better than the m-audio 2496 because I went from the m-audio audiophile 192 to my current iD22 and noticed really big differences in quality which really did surprise me but it's real, that has been my experience anyway.

A midi to usb adapter (for lack of a better word) is a super cheap solution to having an interface without midi built in. A quick google search found them at around $35 from companies that you've heard of and as little as $6 from companies that you haven't.

Metallica's "black album" was mastered from the 16 bit DAT backup tapes. These were recorded using the stock converters in a Sony DAT machine 25 years ago. These converters are considered garbage now, but it really didn't seem to harm the clarity of the album. The converters in the zoom can't be worse than that.

The electronics leading up the the converters count for more of the sound quality than the conversion itself. That's where the money needs to be spent. Quality preamps will make more of a difference than converters.

To make a big enough leap in quality to not seem like a waste, the OP will have to save up another few hundred dollars. (I'm sure the audient is very nice, but that is still $100 out of his price range and doesn't include midi)

Sorry to be absent from this thread. Life got complex very quickly.
I went back to listened to some of my original tunes that I've recorded (once I have them copyrighted I'll post 'em; sorry for the paranoia). Those where the guitars are recorded with real amps sound noticeably better (clearer, more three dimensional) than those where I'm using an amp sim pedal (it's an analog amp emulator called the Award Sessions JD10). The amp sim pedal sounds good when you first lay down your track, but once you get all the other stuff added and mix it down it (usually) starts to sound kind of thin and forgettable. The tracks where the amps were mic'd really retain that round, three dimensional, lifelike sound, and yes they sound more clear.
I know I shouldn't be surprised by that, but when I hear clips like this on youtube, i always hold out hope that the amp sims can sound more lifelike, but then when I mix down mine never do!
So is that a function of his Motu 828 MK II interface? That's what he said he's using (buried in his replies), plus he said he's going straight in which sounds like he's not using an outboard preamp? Or is it due to the fact that his sound is drenched in (very expensive) delays and effects?

A midi to usb adapter (for lack of a better word) is a super cheap solution to having an interface without midi built in. A quick google search found them at around $35 from companies that you've heard of and as little as $6 from companies that you haven't.

Metallica's "black album" was mastered from the 16 bit DAT backup tapes. These were recorded using the stock converters in a Sony DAT machine 25 years ago. These converters are considered garbage now, but it really didn't seem to harm the clarity of the album. The converters in the zoom can't be worse than that.

The electronics leading up the the converters count for more of the sound quality than the conversion itself. That's where the money needs to be spent. Quality preamps will make more of a difference than converters.

To make a big enough leap in quality to not seem like a waste, the OP will have to save up another few hundred dollars. (I'm sure the audient is very nice, but that is still $100 out of his price range and doesn't include midi)

Hi Jay,
been round this MIDI maypole before! My beef is that it is very convenient to have MIDI all in one box but my main objection is one of the extreme Scroogery! If M-Audio/ Alesis can put MIDI I/O in a $100 interface it is pretty damn sure it costs relative peanuts to put it in a $600+ one!

And I shall state once more, for the record, almost no USB MIDI keyboard/controllers of the $100ISH stamp have a MIDI INPUT!

Dave.

But then you have the people on the other side, the ones who don't want to pay for NY thing they won't use. It's an unwinnable thing.

I am one that could careless about MIDI incorporated into the interface. It is nice, could break a tie, but, with the throughput of USB, which is far greater than MIDI needs, a USB to MIDI would work just fine. The only advantage to the MIDI connection on the interface, it competes with nothing. So it is dedicated. USB, well you know.

Back