So I'm getting a new computer for the studio and I need some advice!

My two cents
Pro tools needs a Nvidia based video card, check the requirements page.
As for the HD for recording I'll spend a little more and buy one rated at 10,000 RPM
Before buying the memory check that is on the aproved vendors list for that motherboard. Asus tends to be very picky about the memory.
One thing you didn't stated was the cabinet/enclosure. Buy a large one so the heating problem won't be a concern.
Also you'll need a 64 bit OS, Win 7 Professional would be my choice.

Now I am a PC numpty but it seems unlikely to me that THE major DAW software would be limited by what video card you have?

Then are not 10k rpm drives noisier for no real speed advantage over a modern SATA 7.2k which IIRC can run at least 100tracks at 96kHz?

Dave.

There are many computer available in the market and i want any computer for my studio because you know computer play very important role in every field of life.They will at least tell you if your aspirations are possible.
get lost spammie.

ecc83
sorry to answer this late but somo support to my post
about video
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en422351?popup=true
About HD from
tjrforum.com/showthread.php?t=1614
"So, spinning a disk faster means it's harder to write, but easier to read. The two offset each other for the most part. So what it comes down to is price of the higher speed components. Since the disk is spinning faster, the balance has to be better, the bearings have to have less friction, the electronics have to have a higher speed rating and lower tolerance. Generally speaking, drives are pretty low on the speed ratings for electronic equipment - the bulk of the expense is in the mechanical components. Motors, steppers, and bearings are all MUCH more expensive for higher speeds and greater precision."
So Tou'll get an advantage when mixing

Well I am sorry too Txema but that is just a link to yet another forum.

The ONLY guy's information I trust on matters computer audio are those at Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media because the magazine has an unbroken lineage with me of over 40 years. They tell me that a modern 7,200 SATA drive can run more than enough tracks for almost any purpose and in fact a laptop 5400 is more than good enough in most situations. I also understand (from them) that all a hard drive has to do is keep up with shunting the data in and out of memory.

Dave.

Well I am sorry too Txema but that is just a link to yet another forum.

that's the very first thing I thought.
This is just someone else's opinion not neccessarily the facts.

I would tend to trust Sound on Sound.

ecc83
I'm not a musician, but I'm kind of a computer geek. I'm here to learn about home studio recording as my son, who's the musician, is studying to became a sound engineer/ producer.
As per my little knowledge of computers, the fastest the disk the better, the bigger memory the better. I've done some video capture processing and with a fast disk, that's high RPM and low seek time I didn't lose a frame, that didn't happend with a slower disk.

ecc83
I'm not a musician, but I'm kind of a computer geek. I'm here to learn about home studio recording as my son, who's the musician, is studying to became a sound engineer/ producer.
As per my little knowledge of computers, the fastest the disk the better, the bigger memory the better. I've done some video capture processing and with a fast disk, that's high RPM and low seek time I didn't lose a frame, that didn't happend with a slower disk.
but audio is not nearly as demanding and has a facet that video generally does not which is noise. Check out how many threads we have where people have a problem with the physical noise from a 'puter.
So it's not a slam dunk that faster HD equals better in this case.

ecc83

Apple and oranges Txema. I have dabbled with video (Camtasia demo) with a 2core 2.7G W7/64 machine with 2G ram and after a very short while it said "Low Memory" Now my son uses the self same machine to layer up compositions and he NEVER has that problem.

I am neither musician (well I know a few chords and I played bass in my yoof!) nor computer guru but I am an old electronics tech and I have been dabbling and learning computer recording for 6 years to backup my very musical son (I was also involved as a tech with a small local PA/recording/AV firm a couple of decades ago) what I have learned has come from forums and reading, mostly from Sound on Sound but I have a stack of the other 3 common recording mags here (and a rake of dvds!).

About a year ago SoS had a round robin of about 6 worthies in the audio electronics field and the all agreed the prime requirement for an audio (not vid!) computer was ACTUAL processor speed, more ram is good but most of us need less than 4G (and can only use that on a 64bit system). They never mention HDDs, presumably because the standard SATA 7k2 is plenty fast enough.

And I have found that very good COMPUTER people are not necessarily good AUDIO computer people. They rarely know for instance about the tweaks and optimizations needed for glitch free audio.

Same for gaming. Needs a S'hot pc but it will not usually be so hot for audio work.

Dave.

I apreciate the comments, as I've said I'm trying to learn about recording.
So if I'm understanding you comments; A fast CPU will be the first item on a list, memory and HD speed are not that important.
However my sons's macbook, 1st generation with 2.2GHz core duo NOT core2duo, 2 GB RAM and a 5400 RPM disk wasn't enough while he was trying to do a mix, probably because the plug-ins he was using (last version of snow leopard) Protools 10
The problems vanished with a PC 3.0 GHz dualcore 4GB ram and Protools 8 and 7200 RPM HD

Back