So I'm getting a new computer for the studio and I need some advice!

skylightdash

I'm getting a new computer for the studio, and here is what it should be able to do/handle.

Computer will...

1. Have to run Pro Tools 8/9HD/10 without ever having a glitch, lag, or latency problem.

2. Need to record endless tracks (at least 75+) with multiple plugins/VSTs/effects running at once (I mean large VSTs, plugins, effects, etc..).

3. Need to be able to save and store several large audio files and projects without slowing down the computers performance.

4. Needs to be able to render audio at the highest available format without slowing down or crashing.

4. Need to be able to do all this ^ while also running programs in the background with ease
and once again NOT slowing down the computers performance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, that is a lot to expect, but I'm only doing this so you might understand what I'm looking for in the ballpark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a list of all the hardware I will be putting inside this computer system:

Processor: (Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) Quad-Core)

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53550

Motherboard: (ASUS P8Z77-V LK)

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Memory (32GBs)

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9Q-32GAO

System Hard Drive (120GB SATA III (SSD))

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Recording Hard Drive: (1TB 7200 RPM)

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply: (600W)

Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Please let me know if this setup ^ above will complete my expectations!
Thanks for being so understanding :-)

For the processor, I would recommend a Xeon E3-12xxv2. Why? They're an i7 without the integrated graphics processor, and cost as much as an higher end i5. They also have HyperThreading which is really useful for multitasking, like the i7 series.

The only downside to it would be that you would need to purchase a separate graphics card, but in my opinion, it's totally worth it since you can get a low-end graphics card for like $25.

For the performance benchmark of an i7 vs an Xeon v2, look here:
cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Xeon E3-1230v2 - Score 9,830 for $240
Intel i5-3550 Ivy Bridge - Score 7,430 for $210

Also, for a graphics card I would go with this:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339

Also, the power supply. It only has an 80+ Basic certificate, meaning it has lower grade components than 80+ Bronze certified power supplies and more of it's power will be converted to heat.

I always go with Antec/SeaSonic/Enermax/Corsair units, as they're of the best quality.

Here's an excellent SeaSonic unit:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

It's only 520W you might be thinking. Well, you'll never actually use even over 250 watts:
extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

As a sidenote, your motherboard supports an Xeon E3-1230v2, I checked on the Asus' website.

Also, if you want to save a buck, go with an H77 chipset. It's a scaled-back chipset, suitable when overclocking and multiple graphics card aren't needed. It supports PCI-Express 3.0 just as Z77, it has no overclocking support. It has the same number of SATA and USB ports, SSD caching, onboard graphics, and more. So, the only differences are the PCI lanes and overclocking. Nothing else.

EDIT: I'm surprised there aren't as many H77 boards available as I thought there were and the good boards are in the price range of Z77 boards. I guess going with an Z77 board is a good idea then.

Buy a mac. (Not starting a pc/mac war, just offering my advice)

You won't have to fiddle with drivers, you wont have to worry about system optimization, you wont have to worry about virii (not so much, at least), etc.

You know all the components work well together and you have an os tailored for those components.

Buy a mac. (Not starting a pc/mac war, just offering my advice)

You won't have to fiddle with drivers, you wont have to worry about system optimization, you wont have to worry about virii (not so much, at least), etc.

You know all the components work well together and you have an os tailored for those components.

I currently work on a mac, and always have. I would love to get a faster one, but with what I need, it would cost way to much.

Yes a mac would be A solution (so I have gathered, never used one) but for that vast list of very stringent requirements I would go for "ready made" and approach people like Scan.
They will at least tell you if your aspirations are possible. For instance, if you want the ultimate in low latency (can't have none!) you will need an RME PCIe soundcard. Nothing else seems close.

Dave.

You can also build a hackintosh, but you need some experience. It's basically a mac for the cost of an PC.

You'll current rig will do nicely, but you'll need to get a Gigabyte 7-series motherboard which has been tested on Hackintosh and a graphics card that runs on Hackintosh.

It's what I'm planning of doing soon.

Also, did you like my first reply? I spent some time putting it together, and I'd love some feedback :)

I'll give you some feedback. Nice! :drunk:

Why did the Mac force come here to screw with a PC guy anyway? Bad form...

I'll give you some feedback. Nice! :drunk:

Why did the Mac force come here to screw with a PC guy anyway? Bad form...

Oh, thanks :)

I've been a computer enthusiast for the most of my teenage life, built some systems myself and always like to keep myself updated :)

Currently working on a hackintosh build for a DAW.

Just curious... why setup a hackintosh when you can run windows without going through the hassle of waiting for an update to break your setup?

I currently work on a mac, and always have. I would love to get a faster one, but with what I need, it would cost way to much.

Not joining the mac/pc war. Lt is right; There's nothing between them now.

Since you mention you work on one though, and would like one though,

what about the mac mini server jobby? 2.0ghz i7? IIRC they outperform a 3.2ghz 2008 mac pro, just.

I looked at them a while back and it seemed about £600 was the going rate used.
Might be worth a look if it's within budget.

Obviously no good if you need pci-e though.

There is lots between Mac and PC. Whether or not one or another is "better" is up for debate. Me? Preference is king.

I am a pretty experienced Hackintosh builder and I can tell you that it can be an absolute headache to build unless you go with recommended and specific hardware. Tonymacx86 has got all that info on his website but it can often be difficult to track down the right stuff for a 100% successful build out of the box. Just to get the bootloader to boot the installer is difficult enough sometimes. However, provided you get the right hardware, a DSDT install is possible and in that case, you could have one up and running in less than an hour. But like I said, sourcing the right hardware can be a challenge. Well, where I live, at least. The US may be different.

Anyhoo, a Hackintosh is as stable and powerful as any Mac Pro and once it's running, it'll run just fine.

Just wait until you have to hack a plist and add device ID's, etc. :facepalm:

Cheers :)

There is lots between Mac and PC. Whether or not one or another is "better" is up for debate. Me? Preference is king.

I am a pretty experienced Hackintosh builder and I can tell you that it can be an absolute headache to build unless you go with recommended and specific hardware. Tonymacx86 has got all that info on his website but it can often be difficult to track down the right stuff for a 100% successful build out of the box. Just to get the bootloader to boot the installer is difficult enough sometimes. However, provided you get the right hardware, a DSDT install is possible and in that case, you could have one up and running in less than an hour. But like I said, sourcing the right hardware can be a challenge. Well, where I live, at least. The US may be different.

Anyhoo, a Hackintosh is as stable and powerful as any Mac Pro and once it's running, it'll run just fine.

Just wait until you have to hack a plist and add device ID's, etc. :facepalm:

Building a hackintosh is easy with the Gigabyte UEFI motherboards. You don't even need an DSDT. Just get an 7-series Gigabyte mobo (H77 & Z77 Chipsets).

The Gigabyte UEFI on the Z77 chipset works natively with OS X power management- you don't need a DSDT to wake/sleep, and no kernel panics on power management whatsoever!”

“Normally when you build a Hackingtosh you need something called a DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table) as this is how OS X can detect what kind of hardware you have in your system. Without a DSDT Hackintoshes tend to go into kernel panic mode, i.e. they're pretty much useless.…

However, the latest motherboards from Gigabyte don't appear to need a DSDT file for basic functionality, as the boards boot into OS X just fine without it….It's not entirely clear what Gigabyte has done to make this work, but it's made the life of those wanting to install an alternative OS on their PC a lot easier.”

Pretty much all my external hardware such as my audio interface is compatible with Mac OS X, so I will not have any headaches (I hope) :)

Yup, I know what works OTB, but sourcing that stuff is sometimes a challenge. I live near the end of the world, dude.

in performance issues I have talked to a LOT of guys whoise business is 'puters and every single one of them has told me that there's little difference anymore in performance between macs and PCs.
And, in fact, Macs are now essentially the same and use PC tech all thru their systems.
There were big differences in the past and it's kinda like people still saying the only good guitars are old ones ...... it's a persistent perception but doesn't come anywhere close to being true because it's based in a past that no longer exists.
Sorta like pubbies wanting to go back to the frontier days..

My two cents
Pro tools needs a Nvidia based video card, check the requirements page.
As for the HD for recording I'll spend a little more and buy one rated at 10,000 RPM
Before buying the memory check that is on the aproved vendors list for that motherboard. Asus tends to be very picky about the memory.
One thing you didn't stated was the cabinet/enclosure. Buy a large one so the heating problem won't be a concern.
Also you'll need a 64 bit OS, Win 7 Professional would be my choice.

Back