So I just upgraded my DAW PC with Windows 8 and I am lost!!

Dark Star Balla

Window 8 looks so far from XP I am uncomfortable looking at it when I turn it on! lbvvs I'm going to install my Sonar Producer X2 but first I need to know if there are any tweaks I can do to my pc to make sure I get max performance. My PC stats are asus P8 Z77-V, i7 3.5 quadcore, TridentX 32gb. I'm still tweaking my setting on my motherboard to get everything right. Any tips or tricks is much appreciated.

With a 3.5ghz i7 machine + 32gb ram, it'd be extremely disappointing if you had to tweak anything at all.
That should be a beast machine from the start.

Is your workload going to be massive?

Sounds reasonable enough. I'd be inclined to just work away.
I'd have no problem doing that on my MBP (2.3ghz i5 16gb) so you should be very comfortable.

Window 8 looks so far from XP I am uncomfortable looking at it when I turn it on! ...Any tips or tricks is much appreciated.

Well, if you've made the leap from XP to 8 then visually, you're looking at world of difference. Apparently, there is a setting in Win8 which allows it to appear as Win7. Google it (there are many articles showing how to turn it on). If you're used to XP then you'll love Win7 as it is similar enough to XP so as to appear familiar, whilst giving you outstanding GUI and workflow improvements that you'll probably love.

You'll have to google it though, because I don't use Win8 and wouldn't know how to change the setting. It's just something I heard about.

Many of us still choose to stay a step behind the latest OS. I generally upgrade once the problems have played themselves out (on the other people) and the platform has matured... and of course, come down in price. Still, at least you will not have to upgrade and shell out for a new OS for a long time yet.

Well actually I've been using XP since 05 I skipped over everything until now because I had to liked XP but seeing as tho XP is pretty much on it's death bed I figured why stop at 7? But I'm really not liking 8. I can not even get my main Firewire interface installed. It's not accepting the driver software. How can Tascam drivers not be compatible?? They worked with windows 7! I haven't even trie my Motu yet. Jeez

Last edited:
Back