So is a Focusrite Scarlett better than the Lexicon Alpha I have already?

jfgrosz

So I have an XP Pentium 4/Cubase 5 Artist box i've been working on... and want to upgrade to probably a new windows box (AMD processor) and Cubase 7 Artist.
I have a Lexicon Alpha USB interface and have been told to purchase a focusrite Scarlet 2I2 interface. Is the newer USB box that much better than the older USB box? Can i still get drivers for the Lexicon Alpha for the new box or is that the rub?
thanks
john

Well, the Alpha has low gain preamps and no phantom power. A good $60 unit for beginners, but a bit challenged when it comes to expanding to say the least. I owned an Alpha many years ago, and it got me to a point. What point you are at is what matters. What is it you need? What is your budget?

Jimmy, thanks for the reply!!
I'm doing instrumental jazz for now... recording guitars and bass direct, possible throwing a mic in front of an amp later.....
If I saw a benefit i wouldn't mind throwing $250 at a good unit that does midi as well.
thanks

Yup. The Lexicon actually does a good job on its line level inputs and, although lowish gain, the single mic pre sounds okay.

However, the rubs are that it only has a single mic pre and doesn't have any phantom power.

Drivers shouldn't be a problem though...they have Windows Drivers up to and including Windows 8. I have a friend in the UK who uses an Alpha (just the line ins fed from a good mixer) and he's had no problems.

So...will you hear a huge audible improvement upgrading to the Scarlett? Probably not. Will the upgrade give you a much more flexible system with room for expansion? Yup. There's no big reason to change from the Lexicon if you're happy with it--but at some point you'll almost certainly need to.

Focusrite has better conversion, much better preamps and phantom power. Focusrite wins in my book.

No matter which Focusrite model you go for, you always get those wonderful Focusrite pre-amps, which are among the best at any price point

Back