SMPTE MIDI sync from Tape

tascam baby

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place for this. I posted it in the MIDI forum as well. I have been recording for several years now onto tape (Tascam 38, Tascam MSR-16). I mix down into Cubase. A Tascam US-122 is the interface from the desk. I have REASON 3 (which I have yet to fully get to grips with), and FRUITY LOOPS STUDIO which I mainly use as a drum machine. I write the drum track then record it onto a couple of tape tracks. I also access sounds in FL using the MIDI out from a Korg MS2000.
I want the tape recorder to control these sequencers. I got an old JL Cooper PPS-1. This will record (stripe) a SMPTE signal onto a tape track, then convert it to MTC. I had no problem striping the SMPTE code to tape, but couldn't get the US-122 to "see" its MIDI output. In fairness, the unit could well have been faulty.
I have just aquired a FRIEND CHIP SRC/AT PLUS. Again, no problem striping the SMPTE, but again, could could not get the US-122 to see the MIDI output. I can make my old ROLAND TR505 trigger them no problem. Can't get the SMPTE tape track to start the sequencers though.
So, what am I doing wrong? Can't find a manual for the Friend Chip. The guy I got it off didn't have it, but says he used it to do exactly what I want. Could any one help - either with the manual, or with some hook up advice. There is a confusing amount of MIDI connections and menus on the unit.
Any help would be gratefully received!
Dave.

I am just trying to get my head around what you just said?

Which software are you using to write for the sequencers?

On that software are you telling it to sync to an external midi clock?

You are feeding the smpte to the JL cooper then to the computer with the midi software? Via the US-122? If so is the US-122 set to receive external syn?

Cheers
Alan.

Back