smartphone audio apps

famous beagle

Hey everyone,

I've been way late to the whole smartphone party and have avoided them until now. The wife wants us to get them, and the only reason I'd want to get one would be to have some portable music production capabilities (sequencing, recording, etc.).

I know that there are lots of things (software and hardware) designed for interfacing with the apple stuff, but is that just all for the iPod and iPad? Or can you do a lot of that stuff (sequencing, recording, etc.) on the iPhone too?

And what about other smartphones like Droid, Samsung Galaxy etc. Can they all do recording/sequencing too?

Thanks

I suppose I should be more specific in my question.

Right now, I have a laptop that I keep downstairs in the bedroom for when I want to get quick ideas down. I have Reaper installed on it with a bunch of VSTi's, and I control it with a little Alesis Q25 MIDI keyboard controller.

This system works great, but the laptop is quite clunky to get around. (The keyboard is a bit clunky as well, but the feel of real keys vs. a little "virtual" keyboard on a screen is not even a competition to me.)

So ... is there some way that I could recreate this experience with a smartphone? That is, a system where I could:

Record audio/MIDI (though MIDI is by far what I'd use the most)
Use some sort of virtual instruments (could be included with the program ... or whatever .. I don't know if you can use VSTi's in iPhone apps the way you can with normal DAWs)
Control it with my external MIDI controller
Import/export MIDI and/or wav files

Is this doable?

Thanks

Well - I have this one:

https://www.akaipro.com/synthstation25

...which I use with, in my view, the best iphone/ipad-DAW available at the moment:

Music Studio - Overview

Of course there are limits to how much you can do, but there are plenty of instruments, monitoring through your headphones while
recording whatever part, with very low latency, with the akai. Exporting is easy.

Thanks for these suggestions. A few questions for you:

Can you import MIDI files into Music Studio?
How much does the app cost?
How does the virtual instrument thing work with iPhone/iPad? Are you limited to what's available in Music Studio, or can you use other VSTI's similar to the way you can with standard DAW's?

Thanks!

Back