Small desktop audio interface. Good quality.

Thisnameistaken

Hello Everyone. As the title suggests i'm looking for some information regarding small audio interfaces, similar to the Scarlette 2i2. I was considering this exact one, however the issue of guitar clipping came up on enough occasions to warrant concern. All my guitars have humbuckers which I guess is high output which I guess is bad.

Basically, i'm looking for the most hassle free best quality small interface I can get. I really wanted an MR816 and still do but I simply don't need that many ins or outs. For now, I really just need enough to plug in one guitar or mic at a time. Being able to plug in 2 at a time would be fun to play around with, but i'll pretty well only ever need 1. I'd like to do so with a very decent sounding unit, and not have to worry about clipping issues or anything of that sort, ideally, obviously lol. I'm running win7, might upgrade to 8 soon. Looking forward to some advice. Thanks all!

Well, that is a big jump in quality between the Scarlette and the 816. Have you looked into other interfaces? There are many that will give you options for future track needs, while giving you decent quality. I have always been a fan of the Tascam units, but that is just my opinion. There is much ado with people and their opinions. Usually, it is manufacturers that create the hype on what sounds good. A $300 Tascam 1800 will not have any issue with 'clipping'. I also doubt that a $60 Lexicon Alpha would have that issue either, in fact, they are known for low input gain.

Hey man, i was surprised when you said about the clipping issue as i'd never heard of it but a quick google showed me the barrage of people saying it.

The two AI's i'd suggest as 2 in's with dedicated instrument in's are the Presonus Audiobox 22vsl and the Maudio Fast Track. Both should work fine.

tbh, i've never personally used the instrument in on either the presonus or maudio stuff (i've always used a DI box into the mic in) so can't really comment on that in particular but we have a couple of the maudio fast tracks at work for students to direct record guitars into in computer suites and we've not had any problem. the only downside is the RCA outputs rather than TRS outputs

Well, that is a big jump in quality between the Scarlette and the 816. Have you looked into other interfaces? A $300 Tascam 1800 will not have any issue with 'clipping'. I also doubt that a $60 Lexicon Alpha would have that issue either, in fact, they are known for low input gain.

Thanks for the reply and yes I have looked into quite a few, actually. Ideally, i'd like 816 quality in a smaller package and smaller price haha. I'm not too sure where that is though. I will look into some Tascam units. I never really have. Nor the Lexicon. I just saw that 60 dollar one recently but didn't so any digging on it figuring it didn't quite match up to the quality I was looking for.

Hey man, i was surprised when you said about the clipping issue as i'd never heard of it but a quick google showed me the barrage of people saying it.

The two AI's i'd suggest as 2 in's with dedicated instrument in's are the Presonus Audiobox 22vsl and the Maudio Fast Track. Both should work fine.

tbh, i've never personally used the instrument in on either the presonus or maudio stuff (i've always used a DI box into the mic in) so can't really comment on that in particular but we have a couple of the maudio fast tracks at work for students to direct record guitars into in computer suites and we've not had any problem. the only downside is the RCA outputs rather than TRS outputs

I was surprised myself. I heard nothing but good things and then I started seeing that everywhere. I should look into the Audiobox or an Maudio unit. I had rented the Firestudio and was having trouble with it. I couldn't my guitar to sound right in it. I can't remember specifically, I think I couldn't get much volume no matter what I did. I didn't have it long and it was like a year ago. However, I really didn't know what I was doing. I still don't hah.

Hey, speaking of DI boxes, I was considering that route as well. I just posted a topic on it right before this one. https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ding-computers/few-questions-di-boxes-349266/

If you could take a look at it and give a reply that would be great. What kind of DI box do you have?

I had rented the Firestudio and was having trouble with it. I couldn't my guitar to sound right in it. I can't remember specifically, I think I couldn't get much volume no matter what I did.

Yeah, i own an Firestudio Mobile and have never ever used the instrument input's on the front. As i said, i guess force of habit has gotten me into using DI boxes and as i tend to DI and mic an amp at the same time, i can't easily do this with the instrument in on the firestudio, whereas it's just another jack cable from the DI box to the amp with the DI box

Back