simultanious multi track

hubb_99

i understand how to hook my mixer and stuff into my computer and record everything at the same time on to one track. i am having trouble understanding how i could redord everything live and divide everything up into different tracks. like say i am using cakewallk, running my mixer in through the line in, recording drums, two guitars, lead and back up vocals, and bass, how can i record everything on to it's own track, that way i can go back and adjust levels and stuff. i don't know if i need better equipment, but i just want to know they do it in the studios and stuff.

You simply need a soundcard with multiple inputs. That way you can run each track from your mixer to its own input on the soundcard, rather than running the mixers "main out" to the soundcard.

"You simply need a soundcard with multiple inputs. That way you can run each track from your mixer to its own input on the soundcard, rather than running the mixers "main out" to the soundcard"

How many inputs can you have on a soundcard though because i would like to be able to record at least 5 or 6 tracks at once, would that be a breakout box type setup would come in hand? What kind of soundcrads have that many inputs and what would be the price range?

Mine (Hoontech C-Port, about US$400) has eight in and out. There are several 8 I/O cards to choose from so you need to read about them and find out which suits you best.

what kind of mixer are you using. i just have a powered mixer and it doesn't have seperat outputs for each channel.
couldn't i do the same thing with pre-amps and just insert them seperatley into the card.

You can use whatever line level output gear you want.

I don't have any mixer. The breakout box has two mic preamps (not too good) and I have some instrument preamps that has line level outputs. I'll be getting two good mic preamps for quality stereo micing and a small mixer with direct outs for whatever else in the future.

Back