Simultaneous Multi-Track

kriskanuk

Hey Everybody,

I've been recording for a good while now, but I'm ready to start trying some different methods. I've always done a one track at a time approach, but I'm wanting to do a simultaneous multi-track recording so I can have more free form rhythm. The problem is I don't know how to have multiple inputs record to separate tracks so that I can apply certain settings to one input and not to the other. Here's my setup:

CAD M179 Condesner and Shure PG58 being run into a Eurorack UB1202 4-track mixer. I then have that mixer running into an Edirol UA-1A Audio Capture USB converter, which I run into my Macbook where I use Logic Express 8 for mixing. Not the best setup, but I've had it since I was 15 and 7 years later I can still make it work for me. I'm willing to maybe shell out a little bit of cash if needed, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ditch the EuroRack while recording. In Logic create new audio tracks for each instrument you want to record. Set the input of each software track to a corresponding input on your Edirol. You don't really need anything else but if you want more inputs you'll have to upgrade your interface. I've had the same Edirol piece for field recording for years. Great little box.

Name each track in software this will help you later. Instead of having 5000 audio clips named track one atleast they will be in order by instrument.

Unfortunately, the UA-1A only has one pair of stereo inputs, so you can only get 2 line level signals into it. Can't use the condenser mic because there is no phantom power. Also, you would need adapters to get 1/4" or xlr cables into the rca inputs of the UA-1A, plus they only accept line level, so you need preamps in to the Ua-1A.

Unfortunately, with that interface the best you can get is 2 mono signals. You can use your Eurorack, pan mic 1 to left and mic 2 to right. If you open 2audio tracks in Logic express, you can now record to the 2 tracks simultaneously. If you want more than that, you will have to look for an interface with more inputs.

Thanks Zeppe, but like Washburn said, my CAD needs phantom power. Washburn, I don't know how familiar with Logic Express you are, but I can't get it record two tracks at once. I've got it panned on mixer, and I've got both tracks open, but it will only record one at a time. Any idea?

I'm not familar with Logic Express, but can pretty much guarantee you can record multiple tracks simultaneously. Each track must be "armed" and then use the glogal record or whatever it is calledin Logic express.

Are you getting signals in both tracks, but only one is recording?

i'm unfamiliar with the equipment you're using, but wanted to pass on what i use to do simultaneous recording: lexicon omega audio interface into vegas (but you can use cubase or pro-tools as well) where you are able to assign each track as its own input.

ok, so this is what you are going to do. I run logic express 9, I am assuming its similar. Open a new project or an existing one and click on the plus sign (+) that brings up the box where you can add tracks, make them mono or stereo, and all that jazz. Ok when this box is here, insert the number of different tracks that you want. for example, if you are going to record with 9 different mics, then you would create 9 new tracks...duh. Here is the important part, beside the input option, make sure you check the box for "ascending". This should work. Let me know if it doesn't.

mission accomplished... sort of. I've got two audio ins coming into my mixer and on is panned hard left on the mixer, and the other one hard right. I've got it recording to tracks on my Logic Express, and there is a noticeable difference in levels, but the tracks are definitely bleeding into each other. It's not because of mic proximity either, because I experimented by doing and direct instrument line in on the second input I was using for my acoustic guitar and that track was still getting vocals bled into it even though there was no way that could have been recorded considering that it was a direct instrument line in. Is that about as good as I'll get for my set-up, or can I get the two tracks even more compartmentalized? thanks so much

OK, just looked at the UA-1A again and even though you feed left and right into it from the mixer, I think it is combining those when you set a track to mono.

Try this, not only pan your mixer left and right, pan each track in logic express left and right accordingly. After you have recorded, you can turn each track into a mono track.

See if that works

Back