Simple System ?uestion

I'm sorry. I just gotta laugh here. You guys are so smart, this is getting out of hand. Haha.
Let me try one more time....
Using Audacity, I record voice track, in Mono, of course, then do all EQ, Compression etc if I need it. Then import music track usually in stereo, then make it mono. I then have two...simple...waveform tracks. I want to adjust the volume of each (or maybe I just need to adjust one...even that would be good)....so as to mix the two monos into one mono track. I can roughly set up the volume of either track, ahead of time, in Audacity (yuk!).....but I just thought there's be some app that would bring up two slider pots (faders) on my screen, where I could change the gain of one (or both) tracks, WHILE they were being overlapped into one track. Not rocket science.....well, not to you guys. Now, that would mean the slider app would have to go between the code of Audacity somewhere, so scratch that whole approach. I will re-read what's above here, again, but I think I would have to go physical to get this done. Too bad,...I'm pretty good with using slider pots.
Thanks for all your help. Even not solving this has taught me a lot.

I just export MONO and am done with it. I make a lot of MONO files. In my mixing, I pretty much prefer hardware for manual fades and tremolo-type effects. Two hands on whatever different synths and jumping over to the mixer for some whoop-di-doo. If you want to whoop-di-doo in software, that's fine : ) In most of my DAW, I can arm a MONO track to record. On the play side, I can un-couple the assignable 2-buss out and mix the output live to the recording in. Before ASIO I commonly had two sound cards patched in third party pin routing software, so I could control the feed to the other.. So, its all out there.

I'm sorry. I just gotta laugh here. You guys are so smart, this is getting out of hand. Haha.
Let me try one more time....
Using Audacity, I record voice track, in Mono, of course, then do all EQ, Compression etc if I need it. Then import music track usually in stereo, then make it mono. I then have two...simple...waveform tracks. I want to adjust the volume of each (or maybe I just need to adjust one...even that would be good)....so as to mix the two monos into one mono track. I can roughly set up the volume of either track, ahead of time, in Audacity (yuk!).....but I just thought there's be some app that would bring up two slider pots (faders) on my screen, where I could change the gain of one (or both) tracks, WHILE they were being overlapped into one track. Not rocket science.....well, not to you guys. Now, that would mean the slider app would have to go between the code of Audacity somewhere, so scratch that whole approach. I will re-read what's above here, again, but I think I would have to go physical to get this done. Too bad,...I'm pretty good with using slider pots.
Thanks for all your help. Even not solving this has taught me a lot.

Reread my post above. That is how you can do it. And as a bonus, you don't even need Audacity. Do everything in the DAW. This is exactly what the programs are designed to do. And like I said, Reaper has a very generous demo mode, so you don't even need to spend a penny. (But if you find you want to continue to use Reaper, please pay for your copy. It's an honor system kind of thing.)

As per attached?

The two 'faders' are linked by default, probably common to most DAWs, but the black 'blob' above the R/H fader unlocks them. To the left of the blob is automation.

Once you have the balance you want you just save it. In fact Sam (and I suspect most other DAWs,) won't let you go without asking "File was changed, save changes?"

I am sure Reaper does much the same. Got it, paid for it, don't like it as much as Sam but then we cut our teeth on MAGIX Studio Gen' six. Ten quid from W.H.Smiths!

Dave.

Attachments

• DAW fader.png
    DAW fader.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 1
Back