Simple/cheap setup help

blabberbla

Hey folks. I'm working on obtaining a Marshall Valvestate, with a Line Out Jack. I was planning on purchasing a Rolls GCi404 to go with this. Previously I had used: Guitar>Zoom 505II>1/4" to 1/8" adapter>regular pc sound card. Over time I seemingly fried my card doing this, causing me to buy a new one.

I thought the Rolls would provide a better sounding, longer lasting solution. But after looking over a few threads concerning the Rolls, it would seem thats not a good option. I've instead started considering the Audiophile, and a Behringer XENYX 502. However I still have my doubts on whether this is practical for me or not, and if the Rolls is still the better option.

Now I'm mostly just screwing around here. Nothing professional. However I don't want the end result to sound like complete crap either. What would you suggest I do?

but he is right.

he doesn't want you to put money into something that may fuzz out after a short while.

those firewire things are your preamp and a/d converter all in one. for 50 bucks more...its well worth the function, reliability, and quality

Oh. I was under the impression that Behringer was decent quality. Guess I was wrong.

The PreSonus looks interesting. Can't say I'm thrilled over the idea of a software interface. I'm not discounting it yet though.

I'm aware that people tend to believe that firewire is faster than usb (I've never used a firewire device so I wouldn't know), but I have to ask whether or not this Lexicon is any good. Mostly since its half the price of other device. Thanks.

I'd go pc box too.

firewire/usb. nice A/d, easy and safe hookup...
with this, the firefox is probably a clearer "mirror", less crap in the chain, probably the same pre-amps as in the high dollar units, just only 2 of them.
possibly the same A/D converters too.

your post reads like a solo recording setup, so 2 channels should work?

Yes, its just me recording my own guitar tracks. I'm not in a band, nor am I likely to ever be in one any time soon, if ever. I don't plan on using mics, extra speakers or anything like that. I simply want to plug into the amp, record something, and save it.

USB 2.0 could probably handle 2 simultaneous tracks without latency, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. :)

Go the safe route and get a firewire device.

I won't be recording two simultaneous tracks though. I'm only one person, and can only play one instrument at a time. I'm starting to wonder if I should just stick with my original idea and go with the Rolls GCi404.

Last edited:
having two channels doesn't mean you have to record two. you can plug into one channel all the time and only use one channel.

even doing guitar though, you could overdub like Les Paul in the left, and a Fender in the right channel....

I had a Rolls power supply melt on me, it was a bad thing, worst in my studio as far as near fire.

blabberbla said:
Hey folks. I'm working on obtaining a Marshall Valvestate, with a Line Out Jack. I was planning on purchasing a Rolls GCi404 to go with this. Previously I had used: Guitar>Zoom 505II>1/4" to 1/8" adapter>regular pc sound card. Over time I seemingly fried my card doing this, causing me to buy a new one.

I thought the Rolls would provide a better sounding, longer lasting solution. But after looking over a few threads concerning the Rolls, it would seem thats not a good option. I've instead started considering the Audiophile, and a Behringer XENYX 502. However I still have my doubts on whether this is practical for me or not, and if the Rolls is still the better option.

Now I'm mostly just screwing around here. Nothing professional. However I don't want the end result to sound like complete crap either. What would you suggest I do?

i have the audiophile 2496 its a good card and can be picked up for handy money on ebay

as for recording with two or more channels, what if you wanted to recored an acoustic guitar with vox simultaneously, or if you meet up with another musician, dont limit yourself get the best and most you can afford

danny.guitar said:
USB 2.0 could probably handle 2 simultaneous tracks without latency, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. :)

Go the safe route and get a firewire device.

USB 1.1 isn't as fast as firewire, but USB 2.0 and firewire are about equivalent.

coolcat said:
having two channels doesn't mean you have to record two. you can plug into one channel all the time and only use one channel.

even doing guitar though, you could overdub like Les Paul in the left, and a Fender in the right channel....
raven46 said:
i have the audiophile 2496 its a good card and can be picked up for handy money on ebay

as for recording with two or more channels, what if you wanted to recored an acoustic guitar with vox simultaneously, or if you meet up with another musician, dont limit yourself get the best and most you can afford

1. I will be running my guitar through an amp. So obviously I would have to switch guitars anyway, if I ever had a desire to. Or another guitar to switch between.
2. I don't sing.
3. It is possible to record one track, then record another track.
4. It is highly unlikely I'll ever "meet up" with another musician again.

blabberbla said:
1. I don't sing
2. It is possible to record one track, then record another track.
3. It is highly unlikely I'll ever "meet up" with another musician again.

1. thats fair enough i was only givin my 2 cents
2. yes of course it is
3. where you living the moon or are you on your death bed...

Between hobbies, work, and my soon to be born son, I doubt I'll have the time to seek out musicians with similiar musical interests at the same level as I. I don't particularly have any interest in recording with anyone else either. I simply want to casually strum some strings here and there and see what happens.

I would suggest going to Musician's Friend and some of the other music "superstore" sites and reading user reviews on anything that you are considering.

As far as the Lexicon goes, many users reported that it worked fine for them, and others couldn't get it to work at all. So I wasn't willing to take a chance on it.

The M-Audio 24/96 is a card used by many, with a proven track record. And it's inexpensive. Probably can't go wrong there. Also, the Line 6 usb interfaces are cool for guitar.

And life doesn't end when you have a child. But it does change drastically.
Who knows? You might meet other musicians at the day care center. ;)

yeah, you could just get a USB guitar pod-something?

record guitars only... or do you have to have an amp with direct out for recording?

you say you don't want to mic anything, so I assume a POD might work...

omtayslick said:
I would suggest going to Musician's Friend and some of the other music "superstore" sites and reading user reviews on anything that you are considering.

i would suggest reading those reviews and taking them very lightly or not reading them at all. you would be better off reading reviews from forums where the users go into more detail or a site like soundonsound.

engine joe said:
i would suggest reading those reviews and taking them very lightly or not reading them at all. you would be better off reading reviews from forums where the users go into more detail or a site like soundonsound.

Well...... Actually both would be good. More feedback is usually a good thing. And if you read between the lines you can spot the idiots.

Back