Simple but boggling to a newbie (getting the PROCCESED signal recorded...)

takearushfan

Hi there,
Sorry for the cryptic title.
See, I'm using a Scarlet Solo USB to record from my bass into the computer. I've been trying to use Audition, Audacity and Pro Tools but for the life of me I can't get a processed signal to record. Though it sounds great clean, I'm trying to use the Waves bundle and, despite hearing the effects working in realtime, only the unaltered signal gets captured. I've looked all over the manuals and tutorials and it looks like this is where buses (?) come in, sends, etc. but it's kinda overwhelming to the novice.
How do I get these recording apps to understand "Get the sound from the Waves signal!" instead of bypassing it and only getting the original (unaltered) one from my Scarlet Solo?
Sorry for the poor wording buy I hope someone understand and I appreciate your help SO much :)
- tarf

Hi,
You can hear the effects in your headphones/monitors as you play, but you don't hear them when you playback the recording?
That's odd.

The recorded audio take is always dry, meaning that any effects you add are non-destructive and would have to stay on your track permanently.
That also allows you to change your mind and fine tune processes/effects as your mix develops.

It is possible to bounce or commit effects but there's usually no need to do so.
You should certainly be able to hear any/all effects on playback.

If you are hearing the effect as your track is being recorded, that's great.

If an unprocessed signal is being recorded, that's also great. That means you have the unprocessed data to play with and do other stuff with in case you change your mind.

If you are not hearing the effects on playback, you have somehow managed to turn them off. I'm not familiar with any of the DAWS you are using, so I can't help there.

Hi,
You can hear the effects in your headphones/monitors as you play, but you don't hear them when you playback the recording?
That's odd.

The recorded audio take is always dry, meaning that any effects you add are non-destructive and would have to stay on your track permanently.
That also allows you to change your mind and fine tune processes/effects as your mix develops.

It is possible to bounce or commit effects but there's usually no need to do so.
You should certainly be able to hear any/all effects on playback.
Yes, it's as if I haven't routed Waves to send the effects affected signal so it's always clean despite hearing it processed while playing. I understand the benefit of having a saved unhampered version but how do I send the signal? I mean, what's the point of Waves if you can't get the processed signal recorded? o_O

---------- Update ----------

It seems like though they're on for listening, they're not on for recording. What techniques do you use if you were in the same boat?

Which is your main DAW? Which one would you want use for troubleshooting here?

It seems like though they're on for listening, they're not on for recording. What techniques do you use if you were in the same boat?

Just to take terminology confusion out of the equation.....

You should be able to plug in a guitar, arm a track, add a reverb (for example) to that track, hit record, play the guitar, and hear reverb as you go.

You should then be able to stop recording and hit play to hear back what you did. It should have reverb on it by default.

Are these things true?

Back