Silly question about M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB

noob13

I feel a little dumb for asking this (I feel like it should be painfully obvious), but I just can't seem to find a simple yes-or-no answer anywhere:

Can anyone who has experience with the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (this little guy) tell me if it's the type of interface that will send each input channel to a separate track in my DAW?

It's generally a safe assumption that an audio interface's inputs will be recognised independently.

A couple of exceptions to note.....Usb mixers often 'mix'. Clue's in the name. An 8 channel USB mixer might just present inputs 1+2 or l+r to the daw.

The other thing is many interfaces will have mic/line/DI per input. This should be taken as one input with a choice of signal levels...Not three inputs.
So if channels 1+2 are combo as described, and 3-8 are line, you should assumed the interface has 8 discrete inputs.

Short answer : Don't buy a USB mixer, and check the specs for I/O figures. 18I/6O generally means the computer will see 18 inputs, for example.
The number of hardware outputs does not relate to the number of input channels that the computer will see.

Shorter answer : That interface has six discreet inputs. Inputs 1,2,3+4 have the choice of mic pre or rear line. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I guess that's it, though: if USB mixer is a mixer that just has the USB output added on, then what's the purpose of an "audio interface" that sends everything to one DAW track? At least the mixer lets you EQ beforehand.....

Shortest answer: I really don't know what I'm doing.....

Thank you again, good sir!

Thanks for the response. I guess that's it, though: if USB mixer is a mixer that just has the USB output added on, then what's the purpose of an "audio interface" that sends everything to one DAW track? At least the mixer lets you EQ beforehand.....

Shortest answer: I really don't know what I'm doing.....

Thank you again, good sir!

You don't really get audio interfaces that send everything to one (or two) tracks. (Yes, technically USB mixers are interfaces....but we know what we mean. ;) )

Generally speaking, the USB mixers mix down to stereo as I said above and, yes, you have your eq, mute, faders etc, so I guess they could be useful for live streaming/podcasting etc.

USB interfaces (not including the above) generally report each individual input to the computer.
They are for multitrack recording.

Hope that clears it up.

The Fast Track Ultra sends each input to a separate track BUT (if it matters) you can't have 4 mics and 4 line inputs (on the back) at the same time. You have to switch between the front and back inputs on each channel.

However, if it's 4 mics you're after, then it's fine.

Noob13,
It is important to check and set up the recording software (called a DAW) correctly. If you want 4 discrete tracks you must set up for four MONO tracks. Many DAWs will default to two stereo tracks.

BTW, does not get a lot of mention these day due to the inexplicable 2i2 fanboys but I have always found M-Audio gear solid and with good drivers.

Dave.

Back