Signal levels problem

Schecterplayer

Got some problems with getting decent recording levels. Using a tascam us 200 interface and a large condensor mic. My problem is i have to crank the levels to get a good track volume. But then it cranks noise too cuz i have had other problems that not one single freaking person in the whole f***** world doesnt know how to fix.... Problems with background hissing noise. Please freaking help!!!!

Accidentally press the -20dB button on the interface or the mic ?
I got similar issues with my fastrack pro, I need to crank around 1-2 o'clock position to get a good recording level, tho I didn't have hissing noise, but after I use a mic pre, the problem is solved.
I find out, many entry level interface's pre aren't strong enough to push the input level of a mic.....

So if i buy a external pre i will get better results? I have tried two interfaces on many different comps and the one i have now is much quieter than that crappy audiobox usb. If i buy a pre will that take care of noise too? I can tell its the pres on my interface or the mic cuz no noise when notbing is plugged in but when i ppug in a mic the noise comes. Even with gain low and quiet room

So if i buy a external pre i will get better results? I have tried two interfaces on many different comps and the one i have now is much quieter than that crappy audiobox usb. If i buy a pre will that take care of noise too? I can tell its the pres on my interface or the mic cuz no noise when notbing is plugged in but when i ppug in a mic the noise comes. Even with gain low and quiet room

Make sure it not environmental noise. Condenser mics are very sensitive and can pick even the lowest level noises in most homes.

I can't really promise buying a pre can 100% solve your problem, I just based on my experience.
I've tried M-Audio Fastrack pro and my friend's M-Box, both of them need to crank the input gain till around 2 o'clock or more to get a good recording volume. It's even worse with dynamic mics like SM-57, I must crank it up till almost 10 to get a good recording volume, and then I've do some research, post question at both website support forum, but many people got same issue.
After I buy a mic pre (not because of this problem, just wanna upgrade my gear), I just need to turn my gain around 10-11 o'clock and the input level is good.
When you crank the input gain, you will hear some hiss (air sound), but I'm not sure if that is your only problem.
If you can borrow a mic pre to test it, you can see if its really like what I said, or its becuz of your mic.

Back