Shure x2u Digital Converter

TheLurker

Hello all,

I wanted to get your opinion on a simple question, but let me quickly preface the question. My grandpa owns a recording studio, thus he has quite a mic selection... however, I do not want to be constantly running to his studio everytime I want to record something for fun, but I do want to get a good sound and have the right mic for the right job. So... I could borrow a couple of his mics and he wouldn't care if I had them for a while... but when I record on my own I do digital recordings (or need a means to convert to digital).

THUS, do you believe this would be a good tool for me to have in my arsenal? X2u XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter | Shure Americas

Thanks for any feedback!

TheLurker

So I've been doing some more research on this and I have mixed feelings. Some people say it's great while others are saying that it produces some "hissing" in recordings... Any thoughts?

Why would you not just by a simple two channel interface? With the mics you have at your disposal, you may need phantom power, tracking left right channel, for a few more dollars, you could have a pretty nice interface and not have to worry about limitations that I assume this brings with it.

Why would you not just by a simple two channel interface? With the mics you have at your disposal, you may need phantom power, tracking left right channel, for a few more dollars, you could have a pretty nice interface and not have to worry about limitations that I assume this brings with it.

Agreed, there are a bazillion bona-fide audio interfaces out there, and a lot of them are a great bang for the buck. That same $100 would buy a fair 2-channel interface. For less than $200 there are fine entries from Focusrite, NI, Steinberg, Avid, Roland...the list goes on. Do some shopping for the term "audio interface" and behold the myriad options. They contain mic preamps and analog-digital converters (and digital-analog converters as well). Most of them come with software that'll allow you to do multi-track recording.

Well I do have an one of these, but never used it... Man that sounds bad on my part... Amazon.com: M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps: Musical Instruments

I could play around with it and see if it produces decent recordings. If not, this seemed like it had good reviews around the board... Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Sweetwater.com

Thanks for the advice!

Definitely give that M-Audio a try. Decent converters, decent preamps...plug it in and give it a whirl!

Back