Shure SM58 + Windows

coviex

Hi,
I got Shure SM58 microphone and I'm trying to use it as general purpose mic on Windows8.1 like for Skype etc and maybe for more if it worked ok. but it is not. in every test tool it produces huge amount of noise, I can still hear quality sound behind it though.
SM58 is 1/4" and I connect it to Asus motherboard back panel via minijack adapter.
I also tried mics built in headphones and they sound ok.
What is wrong with Shure? is it broken, or cable is too long or I need special sound card or motherboard?

Would be grateful for any suggestion.

Thanks

Probably not the mic, I speculate you are trying to use it in a way that it was not designed for. Probably the noise you are hearing is the gain from the computer audio card. In your case, you would probably be better off with an equally priced USB mic. My two cents.

The problem is simply the signal to noise ratio of the preamp. If you put the mic to your lips and talk, I bet it sounds much more noise free and of course bassy. Headsets usually have electret condenser mics and have a much higher output. Shure 57 and 58 dynamics are not that sensitive, so a decent preamp that can produce more gain is necessary to get decent audio. I doubt that the unbalanced connection is an issue - connecting pins 1 & 3 is quite normal. It's simply the mic is low on output and turning the gain up on the computer adds noise.

Only sensible solution is a preamp - for a dynamic mic, they run from about half the cost of the mic, up to about the same!

Only sensible solution is a preamp - for a dynamic mic, they run from about half the cost of the mic, up to about the same!
preamp? is it separate device or it can be part of PC audio card?
please post here at least one model name so that I could understand what we are talking about.

I have schiit headphone amp can I use that somehow to preamp? sorry I really don't know the difference.

I have schiit headphone amp can I use that somehow to preamp? sorry I really don't know the difference

Get an external audio interface man. This is the first and most important step.

It will take care of the preamp and analog to digital conversion way better than any internal soundcard.

Check out the stickies.

Especially THIS.

The SM58 is a good general-use mic, but it's usually expecting sources to be either very loud (e.g. a guitar amp) or very close (e.g. a vocalist holding the mic right next to their mouth)

For speech on a PC purposes (skype, podcasts, etc.) you either need to be right on top of it and speaking clearly and loudly the whole time. Or go with a condenser mic (which is what most USB mics will be).

If you want to record *music* with that laptop, hang onto the the SM58 and get a decent audio interface. (FastTrack/Fasttrack Pro is a pretty decent starter USB interface)

Back