shure 58 and what soundcard?

asikjulik

hi guys .
i'm wondering i have and love my Shure-m58 mic!
I am responsible for vocal recording in my studio .
but now its time for good soundcard allot of studios i'm working with was recommend me those specific :
-focusrite scarllet 2i4\2i2
-alesis io2
-m-audio fast track 2\pro\plus

now i'm asking help from the professionals
I am working with high vocals and rock band(screams) and i wonder which will fit for me..?
thank you very much!

Of the ones on your shortlist, definitely either of the Focusrite units (depending which suits you best in terms of inputs and outputs). The 58 needs a lot of clean gain at that's an area where Focusrite pre amps excel (and I speak as an M Audio fan!).

I won't try to persuade you that the SM58 isn't the be all and end all since you're clearly very much in love! However, the Focusrite interfaces will still serve you well if you have an affair with condensers or an LDC. :)

55db gain, is what I read for the 2i2 spec. That's pretty decent. One of my interfaces is the Line6 UX2 for example and its pre is 20db and therefore barely has the gain for a lower output mic like the SM7 or 57, or 58.

here's some numbers I grabbed-

typical Dynamic mic around 1.5mV (Shure 58 is dynamic)
typical Condensor mic sensitive 70mV

Shure SM57 site-Sensitivity (at 1,000 Hz Open Circuit Voltage)
Open Circuit Voltage: -56.0 dBV/Pa* (1.6 mV) *(1 Pa = 94 dB SPL)

Shure SM58 site-
(at 1,000 Hz Open Circuit Voltage)
–54.5 dBV/Pa (1.85 mV) 1 Pa = 94 dB SPL
**Ive read around 50or more db, gets you there for the SM58

SM7B Open Circuit Voltage: – 59.0 dB (1.12 mV) 0 dB = 1 volt per Pascal
Shure recommends 60db gain for SM7b for example/.//

Its something you want to check out on the other interfaces you listed.

Might want to add this to your list of interfaces too..
http://tascam.com/product/us-1800/

Your asking about what sound card to use. If you are looking to record to your computer using your SM58, then you will need a A/D converter, we call them 'Audio Interfaces' in the music world. Any of the ones you list should be fine. My only comment would be to get something that supports 24bit/96k minimum. There are cheaper units that only support 16bit/44k but especially for vocals, you will appreciate the higher sample rate and bit depth. There is no right or wrong, do your research, make a selection and go with it.

I would stay away from the Alesis because from what I've been hearing, it does not come with a true low-latency ASIO driver. They suggest you use ASIO4ALL, which is a great hack but it only emulates asio using the wdm drivers and does not always work properly and is a pain to sometimes get working.

The Focusrite or the fast track are good brands.

Back