Should I Order this tomorrow?

Uladine

Okay I've ben researching DAWs for a while now, and I finally have the money I've been needing from my vs-1880 to order one. I read the article on anandtech.com about AMD Athlon XP's, which convinced me to go with AMD. Anyway, here is the system I'm looking at right now. The price comes to $934.11 before shipping at americancomputech.com. I can't really go much over this because I need money left over for my soundcard and software. Anyway, here are the components:

* Iwill KK266-Plus Socket A SDR mobo
* AMD Athlon™ XP 1600 1.4GHz Socket A OEM
* Thermaltake A1110 Volcano 5 Socket A Fan
* 512MB PC133 168pin Micron SDRAM
* 1.44Mb 3.5 Samsung Floppy Drive OEM
* 20.4Gb ATA100 Maxtor 7200rpm HD (for OS)
* AGP e-VGA Riva TNT2 32Mb OEM
* 52 X Samsung CD-Rom IDE OEM
* LiteOn 16x10x40 IDE CDRW
* PCI 10/100BaseT Encore Network Card
* OPAL ATX MidTower 400W P.S. w/2 Front USB
* 2x Case Cooling Fans
* PS2 Win Keyboard
* PS2 Optical Scroll Mouse
* 17" 0.27ni 1280x1024 ProView
40.9Gb ATA100 Maxtor 7200rpm (for audio)

I'm kinda "iffy" about wether to get the Iwill kk266 mobo because it seems some people don't like the chipset. What are the reasons for this? I need to stay in this price range. If anybody knows of any reputable place I can get a system like this for cheaper, please let me know, as I may order my system tomorrow, well actually later today (wednesday). Thanks in advance.

I plan on using the C-port as it seems to have the best feature to price ratio I can find. I already checked the ST Audio website and there shouldn't be any compatability issues.

How could I go about making the system quieter?

I believe the nForce chipset is based around the GeForce2 MX200, which is slower than a good TNT2. That might negate the difference of going with a faster RAM.

But then, having PC133 RAM sort of negates the AthlonXP's power, so...

Not really

the newer boards are DDR only, as is the Nvidia chipset boards

PC133 will be outdated next year, id your gonna build a new computer you might as well save yourself the trouble of having to update later.

Especially if your into graphics and games

If not the new chipset then definately go with the KTA+ chipsets

i have just about the same daw over here, i have a globalwin fan and heatsink on the athlon, it stays very cool and its very quiet. if you have any problems with noise, get some bquiet. this stuff works great in my stereo system that hits 158db...it should quiet your pc just fine... www.b-quiet.com

Back