Setting up a midi LAB

edster

Hi all,
Here's a big one. I'm involved with a school and we are about to set up a MIDI/Recording LAB. This means 20 "dumb" controllers and PC's in each station with a Master PC to control the lot. Recording ia also a must. Let me attempt to describe the needs and then maybe someone could recommend the best way to go so we don't have a lot of crap we don't need.
Each station will need to run software for educational stuff like "Auralia" and "Finale" etc., that part's a no-brainer. But when it comes to being able to record to the master PC what is needed software wise? Or, better question, what's the best way to do this and with what software. Does each PC need any particular soundcard or should it draw MIDI externally? If so, from what source? So essentialy, the workstation needs a PC with what software?, Which soundcard hardware?, Which "dumb" controller?
The master PC, the big kahuna. Digital recording is a must. S/PDIF ins and outs, which card etc.? Which hardware, processor etc., and possibly the most argumentative point, which software? Cubase VST? Then every workstation can be recorded via MIDI to this MAster. Some recording out-of-office would be nice. Is it worth getting a portable digital recorder and incorporating it or just use a DAT live and mix it back in with S/PDIF to the software recording system. Need mics too, RODE? Condensers? Can use guitar preamps into S/PDIF like Johnson J-Station. Should we use an external drum machine? If so, which one?
Hope this all makes sense. If someone has a better idea of how to get what we need, which is a suite of controllers that can communiacte with each other and the master (and the master to them through headphones) and a master recording system, let me know. Oh yeah, and studio monitors, which ones? Also, what's the deal with the two onitors on PC's in studios, is this advisable?
Thanks to all for reading,
Edster

contact this gentleman

Hi
Last fall i took an audio class at a local community college. There were two classes, one for midi and one for audio/digital media and they used a network to connect all the computers together but there was no centralized "master" computer. All recording was done on the individual with students saving their projects to file on their machine.
Each DAW consisted of a Mac with onboard sound card and motu performer and protools le. Each had a midi keyboard and some kind of rack space synthesizer.
If you are interested in more info about this kind of stuff you might email the instructor I don't think he'll mind and he may be able to put you on to resources available to academic situations that may be cheaper and more sensible than the kinds of things that "home recording" deals with. keith_johnson@wvmccd.cc.ca.us

Back