Setting up a Mac system for logic

CallMeJoe

Hi, I'm a newbie here :)
I'd like some advice about setting up a Mac based system. The key requirements are:

• For use with Logic 9 immediately
  • For use with Ableton immediately
  • For use with Pro tools at some stage if feasible
  • To be used by a Producer /songwriter/ and for recording full vocal sessions to create professional release quality tracks. Most songs have around 100 tracks.
  • To have facility to record vocals and single session instruments (i.e. one at a time)
  • To finalise tracks as much as possible so they can be mastered in a different studio
  • To keep the budget as close to £2500 as possible – however I understand this might have to stretch a bit

I have some existing equipment from a cubase studio setup from 7 odd years ago:
  • Microphones, stands and cables
  • Mackie HR624 monitors x2
  • Yamaha 01V96 Digital Mixer
  • Midisport 8x8/s USB interface
  • Korg M1 Keyboard
  • Roland D20 & Juno keyboard
  • Widescreen LCD monitors, keyboards, mice, etc

I have built several PCs before, and am reasonably comfortable with understanding the difference between Quad Core i5, Quad Core i7, and Quad Core Xeon. However, I am unable to figure out which is best for the job. So question 1: Should I get the Mac Pro – or is an iMac up to the job?

Question 2: I assume I will need some kind of firewire interface – given the requirements above, what would you recommend?

Question 3: Aside from the mac, the software and the interface, is there anything else I should consider purchasing?

Finally, if you use a Mac and Logic and have any other advice, it would be most welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to read the giant post!
Many Thanks
Joe

What sort of song has 100 tracks? :confused:

You shouldn't really need Firewire, use a USB interface, they are cheaper and if you're only doing single track (at a time) recording, USB will be more than enough.

Really the main difference between the Mac Pro and iMac is that the Pro is ultimately more expandable with bays for extra hard drives, and sound & graphics cards etc. The iMacs come with either the i5 or the i7.

Back