Setting up a FireWire mixer. [Phonic Helix 18]

krarks

I have a Phonic Helix 18 FireWire mixer. I have it set up and can get sound from it, the problem is, the sliders for the main output have no control over it. I basically have to turn the gain up and put the slider on the channel [that I have an instrument on] to +20 dB for it to give me anything. Not sure why and I'm doubting it's a software issue.

Any ideas as to why this? It's causing problems for recording especially when it comes down to vocals. I can't find a good level to record guitar at either. Basically it's too loud or too quiet.

Help! - krarks

Im not too familiar with your mixer but it sounds like its sending your signal pre-fader and pre-eq likewise.
Play your source while adjusting the gain until your in the high yellow in your software and you should be good to go.
Faders and eq will only have effect on your mains outs, tape outs, etc, not your firewire send.

Mike

Im not too familiar with your mixer but it sounds like its sending your signal pre-fader and pre-eq likewise.
Play your source while adjusting the gain until your in the high yellow in your software and you should be good to go.
Faders and eq will only have effect on your mains outs, tape outs, etc, not your firewire send.

Probably, yeah. If your source doesn't have its own gain adjustment, try bumping up the trim gain. It's probably the top row of knobs on the mixer.

Oh, wait. I'm thinking the OP was saying that outputs had to be cranked way up to make it out the output. If so, make sure you don't have the channel muted or another channel soloed.

Or if you're saying that the inputs aren't coming out the output but they are being recorded, make sure you have software play-through enabled in your DAW or that you have hardware play-through enabled if the device supports it and you want to use that. I know nothing about the Phonic, so I can't give you any guidance on how to enable hardware play-through. Could be as simple as turning up a play-through knob or it could be a driver setting. The way you turn on software play-through depends on your DAW, but it's usually a checkbox in some preferences or audio setup window somewhere....

Back