Sending Analog (track by track) to PC for mixing - Help?

garym

I could use some help on something... Just learning "multi-tracking". I have a Tascam 414 MKII and I like it. However, I'd like to move to digital at some point. For now, I'd like to just get my 8 analog tracks (on 2 different MT cassettes) to the PC for mixing. I figure that I may need a good sound card and probably SONAR 2.2.

If I continue down this path, will I really be able to grab all 8 tracks from within SONAR (after having transferred them one track at a time to the PC) and sync up the begin point for each track when creating the song?

Do I need some sort of audible marker at the front of each track to align/sync to?

Thanks for any help.

garym

garym said:
I could use some help on something... Just learning "multi-tracking". I have a Tascam 414 MKII and I like it. However, I'd like to move to digital at some point. For now, I'd like to just get my 8 analog tracks (on 2 different MT cassettes) to the PC for mixing. I figure that I may need a good sound card and probably SONAR 2.2.

If I continue down this path, will I really be able to grab all 8 tracks from within SONAR (after having transferred them one track at a time to the PC) and sync up the begin point for each track when creating the song?

Do I need some sort of audible marker at the front of each track to align/sync to?

Thanks for any help.

garym

I have a feeling you're going to need more than that. Most likely, you'll need to lay down a click track and have a soundcard that can recognize timecode information.

There's no guarantee the tracks wouldn't drift apart without it.

Thanks. Could you explain? What is a click track and how will that help when bringing the tracks together? Will only certain sound cards support what I'm trying to do?

Back