semiweighted keyboard... Keystation 61es???

Fishybob

Hi all,

I need to get a semi weighted keyboard asap and these are in Millenium music for £110. Anyone use them? I've not used USB yet, any good for keyboards??
I'm not much of a pianist so I don't need all 88 keys.

Any other recommendations???

I currently own a 61es and for feel it is pretty good. You probably won't find another semi-weighted keyboard that feels any better. It is lacking however in features compared to the other USB Midi controller keyboards that are out there right now, but if you just need something basic, then this should do just fine. *Beware, there is some kind of strange problem with the 61es and the Roland JV-1010 module. I hooked my up to 3 different modules and got random communication errors from the module, and it still happened even after M-audio sent me a replacement. Don't know if you would use that setup, but just in case* By the way, M-audio was easy to work with, just be sure you call them instead of doing the online RMA. I always call, gets things done so much faster, and it's always toll free anyways.

Thanks for that. I was pretty sold on the unit anyway - having also got a few other pieces from them in recent years. I don't need much in the way of features... I've been using an Evolution 149 for sometime now without touching a single setting - most of my editing is pencil based!

Since the Evolution packed up I just wanted something less 'clangy'! :rolleyes:

Also, thanks for the tip on registering... very time saving. ;)

I have a Keystation 88es and like it quite a bit. I just needed a keys controller, nothing else like on the full blown model. I use a JV1010 and have no issues. Though, the Keystation is hooked up via usb and I use it through Sonar...not directly to the 1010.

H2H

Fishybob said:
Hi all,

I need to get a semi weighted keyboard asap and these are in Millenium music for £110. Anyone use them? I've not used USB yet, any good for keyboards??
I'm not much of a pianist so I don't need all 88 keys.

Any other recommendations???

The Keystation products (minus the 88) have cheap, shallow, plasticky action which in no way compares to that of synths like the Triton, Motif or Fantom.

You get what you pay for.

Hard2Hear said:
They are also 1/20th the price.

H2H

Used gear is cheap and works just as well.

Korg M1s go for $300 on ebay and make use of the FS keybed (considered the best synth action out there).

Well, thanks one and all for the tips. I headed off last night and picked up the 61es. After a quick demo in the shop I knew it was the one for me. Nothing to fancy and I still have enough in the bank for my next gadget! :rolleyes:

Cheers all :D

ssscientist said:
By the brzilian Not-For-Profit Study Group of Synth Action Inc., no doubt...

Spend some time at www.harmony-central.com in the Synth forum and you'll see other long time keyboardists share that opinion as well.

FS keybed synths - Yamaha DX7/SY77/Motif (probably EX7 as well), Korg M1/T1/01w/Trinity/Triton...

Back