Sell Delta 66 with omni i/o for USB?

cuzoki

I got the omni a few months ago and it works great.

Here is the problem, I got a laptop and I used it with a USB midi controller(also support midi port), the latency was terrible. Will the latency lower if I got a USB audio interface that supports ASIO 2.0, even though the midi controller is connected through its own USB port? Or should I get a USB midi interface and hook the midi controller up through the midi port instead of using the USB? The second solutions doesn't seem like its going to help since its all still going through the USB, unless the chip inside or something is better somehow.

Ok say the first solution does help. Should I sell my omni to get a USB sudio interface(cant get firewire because laptop does not have it.)
My idea is to sell it because I don't think there is really a big difference if I got a USB one for around the same price. I mean, how much better is the omni compared to some of the USB ones around the same price range($400)?

My goal is so that I can have one unit that I can use iwth both my laptop and desktop.

Please give me your opinions or suggestions! Thanks.

Mike

If you trade the omni for a usb unit, you will feel sick when you think back to the wonderful trouble-free times you and the 66 had together,a s you gaze in disgust at the toy you've replaced it with.

If you have to use a laptop, get one with firewire. USB doesn't have the bandwidth for 4x24/96 analog recording like the omni does

MIDI latency from the controller is not the problem; it's the audio latency of the soft synth you are trying to play. ASIO (or WDM) drivers are necessary, but of course your host program must also support ASIO (or WDM).

USB audio interfaces will work OK with two tracks of audio, but beyond that...

The omni is pretty good I have to agree. I didn't realize that the USB had such big limitations, was hoping it could record 4 channels.

So to solve this problem, according to the replies, I should get a firewire adaptor for my laptop and get a firewire unit? Is there a lot of problems with firewire? BULLS HIT seems to think USB has many problems.

Mike

**UPDATE**
Looked at some FIREWIRE interfaces, all pretty expensive to me. I donna how much I can sell my omni for.

Back