Scarlett 2i2 playback routing

I've been out of the game for a while but I recently helped a friend who wanted to set up a simple recording setup. He bought a 2i2 with an AT2020.

He is running into Reaper and my (stupid) question is, how do we route a track he has already recorded back to the headphone jack on the 2i2? Or is this not possible? I know turning direct monitoring on will send the inputs to the headphones but I was thinking he could route stuff out of Reaper, like a click track.

Or is the only option to headphone out of powered speakers/stereo amp rather than the 2i2? Or would something like the 2i4 work instead? The last time I recorded anything I was fiddling with a Delta 1010 and mixer so I have no experience with USB units though I do appreciate the ease of USB.

Thank you!

I've been out of the game for a while but I recently helped a friend who wanted to set up a simple recording setup. He bought a 2i2 with an AT2020.

He is running into Reaper and my (stupid) question is, how do we route a track he has already recorded back to the headphone jack on the 2i2? Or is this not possible? I know turning direct monitoring on will send the inputs to the headphones but I was thinking he could route stuff out of Reaper, like a click track.

Or is the only option to headphone out of powered speakers/stereo amp rather than the 2i2? Or would something like the 2i4 work instead? The last time I recorded anything I was fiddling with a Delta 1010 and mixer so I have no experience with USB units though I do appreciate the ease of USB.

Thank you!

If I'm understanding correctly your need/question, I don't believe you can route specific tracks to specific outputs on the 2i2.

I had a feeling that might be the case. I just didn't want him to play a guitar track back via speakers to listen to while recording vocals after the fact. I was hoping he could monitor via the Scarlett with headphones but it sounds like you can only monitor the inputs.

I had a feeling that might be the case. I just didn't want him to play a guitar track back via speakers to listen to while recording vocals after the fact. I was hoping he could monitor via the Scarlett with headphones but it sounds like you can only monitor the inputs.

Oh, you can totally monitor via the Scarlett. In Reaper, make sure that your outputs are set to the Scarlett outputs 1/2. Turn direct monitoring off. Turn the monitor knob all the way down, and turn the headphone knob up.

If I understand your question correctly, you just need to configure your computer to make the 2i2 the audio output (playback) device, then audio will be routed to the 2i2 and you will hear it on the headphone jack. It sounds like your friend doesn't have monitors; if that's the case, he will have to set it back to use the computer's speaker or always listen on headphones.

J

You bet!

FYI: The direct monitor feature acts as a direct pass-through from the inputs to the outputs. That allows you to directly monitor your input signal with zero latency. So if you want to hear yourself sing with no latency, while also hearing the playback from Reaper, you can turn on the direct monitor switch.

Back