Scarlett 2i2, instrument gain issues??

sl3shredder

I just purchased a Focus Scarlett 2i2 interface for my recording purposes, but after doing a little research I am hearing that they have clipping issues with guitars when plugged straight in due to the max instrument input level of -3dB. I have read "get a DI" or "turn your guitar down," neither of which are an option in my opinion, as I don't have the budget right now to purchase to nice DI, nor do I want to sacrifice guitar tone. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I may be returning it if this is the case, as guitar recording will be a very significant part of what I do.

I've got the 2i2, but have not used it as a DI for guitar. I can give it a try later today.

However, I'm going to suggest you return it anyways if you plan to use it as your sole interface. While I like the 2i2, it does not have a Mix or Blend knob for mixing playback with recorded channels. You will get frustrated by this. I believe the next model up has this knob and it will be very useful.

Oh, and post your question only once, not in multiple forums. I deleted your other post.

Hi
I have the 2i2. I absolutely adore it! There are gain control knobs on the front, and if you find the signal to be clipping, jsut turn it down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this device. If you are using an acoustic guitar, going straight in should work fine. I have done it like that for many of my songs. For an electric I normally put a mic in front of the amp and then send the mic signal into the interface. Either way, the gain knobs are there for a reason. You turn it down until the signal is not clipping.

I would not say that the gain is too high or anything like that, I have found the range it works in to be useful in all the different situations I have used it.

If you like, take a listen to the songs on my signature. All vocals, guitars and bass was recorded with the 2i2 alone. And a pretty mid range mic.

I cant explain just how great the Scarlett is for the price. There are always people who complain about these things in reviews, but you can trust me, and not to mention Focusrite.

Hope this helps! :)

There is a reason they are such a well respected brand.

However, I'm going to suggest you return it anyways if you plan to use it as your sole interface. While I like the 2i2, it does not have a Mix or Blend knob for mixing playback with recorded channels. You will get frustrated by this. I believe the next model up has this knob and it will be very useful.

I have never found the lack of a mix or blend knob frustrating, however it depends on what your used to. If he is starting out with recording, and doesn't have much of a budget, I wouldnt consider it enough of a reason to return it.

Hi
I have the 2i2. I absolutely adore it! There are gain control knobs on the front, and if you find the signal to be clipping, jsut turn it down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this device. If you are using an acoustic guitar, going straight in should work fine. I have done it like that for many of my songs. For an electric I normally put a mic in front of the amp and then send the mic signal into the interface. Either way, the gain knobs are there for a reason. You turn it down until the signal is not clipping.
Ideally, of course I would prefer to run a cranked tube amp and mic it up. However, with volume and portability, I will be doing a lot of guitar tracks using amp modeling software. I have heard on more than one occasion that some people with higher output guitars will clip it even with the gain turned all the way down on the 2i2. I am a single coil guy, so I'm hoping this isn't going to be an issue.

I have a Scarlett 2i2 as well, and I use an Ibanez with a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion in it, and to be honest, yes it clips. Even at the lowest gain settings the 2i2 just clips, there is no other way around it, other than either using a DI box, or I guess just mic'ing up a guitar amp. Honestly, the Mic pre-amps on the 2i2 sound quite good, but for an electric guitar with high-medium to high output, it is not very useful. I think low output or maybe medium output pick-ups could be ok.

I have never really had an issue with mine. I have only ever plugged in my elec-acoustic into it (i have a POD for my Elec's) and if it clips i just switch back and forth between mic and instrument and play with the gain knob until it stops sounding less crappy then it previously did.

Chances are good that i probably shouldn't be abusing it that way but the end result is always a non-clipping acoustic track.

Ideally, of course I would prefer to run a cranked tube amp and mic it up. However, with volume and portability, I will be doing a lot of guitar tracks using amp modeling software. I have heard on more than one occasion that some people with higher output guitars will clip it even with the gain turned all the way down on the 2i2. I am a single coil guy, so I'm hoping this isn't going to be an issue.

I have run my electric straight in, and I have Seymour Duncan '59 Sh-1 pickups, and I have never had an issue. Like someone else said, if using the instrument mode is giving you too much gain, use the line mode. I personally have never had an electric guitar with such high output as to cause distortion.

Back