SB Live question

Mike Richardson

Is there anything wrong with these soundcards when it comes to recording?

I have a crap soundcard and I don't exactly have much $$$ to upgrade to something really classy, so I thought I might go with the SB Live because they're relatively cheap.

I'm not concerned about the number of inputs or anything like that... 1 is sufficient.

If they don't produce a hiss on the recording (like my current soundcard does), would there be anything wrong with a SB Live for someone who wants to record multiple tracks (one at a time though) and still get a good quality result?

Please reply!!!

Thanks!

-Mike.

The SB Live is certainly decent enough. The number of tracks that you can get (one at a time or however) is not really limited by the soundcard but by the computer and the recording software. Modern, fast, and properly-configured computer = more tracks.

Thanks AlChuck.

I just did a bit of research, and considering the price of the SB Live that I'm looking into was $98, it must be the "SB Live! Value" card.

Is this still as good for recording as the $199 SB Live?

(The ad just says "SB Live - $98".... it doesn't say it's a "Value" card, but I can only assume. Either way, I'm interested.)

Thanks.

Bye.

Last time I looked, the model called "Sound Blaster Live! MP3+" and "Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer" sold retail for around $98 but you could find them for less, maybe $70. The "Sound Blaster Live! Platinum" sells for about $175-200. The main difference is that the more expensive bundle contains the so-called Live! Drive, which installs in a free hard-drive bay and allows you to connect stuff to the front of the computer rather than having to use adapters and go in only through the little 1/8-inch jack on the rear panel. Otherwise the hardware is the same. The so-called "Value" model is cheaper, I believe it might not have the S/PDIF digital output and maybe it's the OEM model (sold unboxed to system builders)... I think I've seen it advertised for $50 bucks or less.

Basically, the OEM and the Platinum Live! is the exact same sound card. Difference is that the OEM comes without the S/PDIF, and has cheapo looking color codes on the back. And sure, the Live Drive. Which you don't really need unless you're lazy and can't stand crawling behind your PC once in a while to switch wires. Use the price difference on a small mixer, which will do even more to improve your sound quality. That way, you get lots more inputs, phantom power for your mics, and maybe even a bit of the old EQ!

The OEM version works just dreamy-creamy, don't waste money on MP3+, gold, silver, MPEG, Net Friendly or Double Dip Chocolate versions. The main difference lies in the software bundle, which usually consists of trial versions and useless "text to speech" gadgets. I bought mine as low as 50$. Not in the US, though.

Hope this was some help.

- Bob

Mines cool - It should be used at 48Khz preferably. Just piss off all the games gadgets that hang off it and get the APS Driver.

cheers
John

there are two ways you could go. the SBlive value is $50 for the OEM version from http://www.tcwo.com. I just ordered one for my daughter's new computer. Might have to down load the latest free software from creative, though. The 2 track recording software that comes with it is excellent. Fine if just want something cheap. The more expensive version with 1/4 inch inputs on the front would be a lot better for a MIDI/AUDIO all in one card, though. There are a lot better cards approaching that price but they don't have MIDI capabilities. The little mini plug really sucks on the cheap version but even so, i recorded some stuff through a little behringer mixer. It sounded good and you don't get any hiss.

Ive been using the SoundBlaster Live! card for about almost a year now and I think its a great value. You do get -60 Db of hiss from Rf in the computer but it isn't as noticable as a cheap sound card. The soundfont unilty is also great- you can download an infinite number of realistic piano, drums, or sound effects off the web. Once you get used to the soundcard it is well worth the money. You can check my songs out I recorded with the soundblaster live at http://www.mp3.com/jeffmarcomb : They came out pretty good and I didnt mix them down either. Shoot for the stars and have fun!!!
Jeff

John-
Was getting ready to download the driver and seen at the bottom. Drivers dont work on Win2000. Im using Cakewalk anyways, but wanted to give it a try. Soundblaster just had a new driver update with new mixer and software for Win2000 that is great.
I was also wondering do you or anybody know if you need a preamp before the SPDIF input> Signal is a little weak if im running my floor effects into it.
Jeff

Back