Saving Edited 24bit Files in 32bit (float) DAW - Workflow?

ericeholtz

Hello,
I am hoping to find clarification regarding what happens to a 24bit file each time it is saved and re-saved after editing using a 32bit (float) DAW. I am not mixing in a multitrack environment, but editing the actual waveform. The sources I work with are primarily LP (or 78) records, cassettes, and reel-to-reel.

My typical workflow for an LP record for example:
1. Record source at 24bit/88.2kHz/-15dB-12dB dBFS as one file per side of source; save copies as-is across multiple external hard drives.
2. Apply amplitude (clip gain) globally to both files, ensuring level consistency between both sides, and with that of the original source.
Save each as "...24-88_EDITS_01".
3. Open each "EDITS_01" and manually remove obvious clicks and pops, then apply light declicking - Save.
Note: I try to avoid adding EQ to a record, as I am not trying to remaster it, only clean it up.
4. Apply track markers - Save. Export track markers as 24/88.2 files - Save.
5. Export track markers as 16/44.1 with triangular dither for CD.

As you can see, there is a great deal of saving going on. Since my DAW (Audition CS6) does all of its internal processing at 32bit (float), what happens to the 24bit file at each stage when I repeatedly edit and save it? Remember, I am working directly on the files themselves (Waveform editor) and not working in a multitrack, mixing situation.

I thought I should only dither once, when going to 16bit. I've read some state that dither should be applied at each step when saving the 24bit file, since it is going from the internal processing of 32bit float to 24bit integer. I've also experimented with recording the original sources as 32bit (float)/88.2 files. Would using them throughout the editing process alleviate any conversion at each save? I've also read that the DAW will apply dither to the 32 bit float file before being sent to the 24bit converter.
Any thoughts, tips, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Eric

Since it is processed at 32 bit float, any processing errors will be in the least significant bits. Those bits are the ones that are thrown away when you save at 24 bit.

You are doing it right.

If the source material was virgin acoustic classical/jazz possibly at 96kHz to begin with there might be a cause for concern but I very much doubt it.

Since the material is vinyl (and "dithered" by surface noise!) the digital processes are SO far above the quality, no problem.

Dave.

About the only thing I do is make sure I keep the original dub and store that as data files. Stuff I want to listen to, beyond archiving, gets some mastering. And I don't really have a reason to do 16/44, anymore. First off, I don't have a wide selection of cartridges and stylus right now to get the best out of the groove, so I'm already wondering what I'm going to have to do. I think it should be a fair representation of how people experienced it at the time. Luckily, I have no 78s anymore, so it is just 33 and 45, along with CD and tapes. There are a lot of people out there bringing us long out of print music on a music lover basis. I've been tickled to snag some of that stuff.

Just a thought?

Do you know where you stand regarding copyright on all this stuff?

Dave.

There may not of been all that many Napster fools, if you are addressing sharing music. Enough to get attention. I think there are plenty of responsible adults who aren't going beyond normal usage rights. Outside of the industry, public domain his huge. Anybody could make a record out of a suitcase.

Back